replace boiler

This is all getting far too deep for me ! . I appreciate any responses that i had that were off any use (if you can find them). To those who were upset , i apologise. I obviosly misunderstood this website and the forum. I will look elsewhere for assistance.

Very sorry OP, you're right. You only asked the question and were told it wasn't one for the forum. So I apologise for insults hurled your way.

Sponsored Links
Google the price of the boiler/parts and then ask how long it will take him to do the work. Then you'll know his hourly rate. You can then decide if it's a rip off or not.

Would you go in a Honda dealership and ask for the price breakdown of all the spare parts that you would need to build a new Civic? Then ask how many bowls of rice are paid to the car workers to build the new Civic? Then taking the price of the parts and cost of rice from the purchase price, deduce that the main dealers are ripping you?

Thought not you buffoon! :rolleyes:
o

not quite the same...he wasn't asking if the boiler was a fair price cos that is easy to find online..It is the labour that is the big variable.

akin, if you like, to buying a new car and having to pay a mechanic to deliver it and ensure it is all working. ..which is a fixed price, published cost

This thread is getting a bit silly. Lets just make it quite clear why we don't don't like to comment on price.

Every job is different and involves different work. Just because a quote says to swap boiler and fit a room stat does not mean thats literally what you are getting. There could be many more materials involved and work that has not gone into detail or indeed the opposite and it is a straight swap. Either way, we don't know and its unfair on the engineer quoting to have his price scrutinised without sufficient knowledge of the job.
You cannot give a fixed price for a boiler replacement unless your happy making massively diffferent amounts of profit on each job.
The price quoted is certainly not a "rip off" price if that was all that was being asked.

Sponsored Links
No-one can go out and give a quote without having an hourly rate in their head. That's how you come to a price. Cost of materials plus so many hours at X number of pounds.

If I take my car to the garage they'll tell me the price of the part and a pretty accurate guide of the amount of time it will take to fit it. If it varies from that they'll ring me back and say they've hit a snag and will cost X amount of pounds extra.

But gas fitters don't want to advertise that they charge more per hour than a heart surgeon. They want to keep it a cosy secret that they are charging their customers over a grand per day. :mrgreen:

Google the price of the boiler/parts and then ask how long it will take him to do the work. Then you'll know his hourly rate. You can then decide if it's a rip off or not.

Would you go in a Honda dealership and ask for the price breakdown of all the spare parts that you would need to build a new Civic? Then ask how many bowls of rice are paid to the car workers to build the new Civic? Then taking the price of the parts and cost of rice from the purchase price, deduce that the main dealers are ripping you?

Thought not you buffoon! :rolleyes:
o

not quite the same...he wasn't asking if the boiler was a fair price cos that is easy to find online..It is the labour that is the big variable.

akin, if you like, to buying a new car and having to pay a mechanic to deliver it and ensure it is all working. ..which is a fixed price, published cost

Mechanics do that. Its called a pre delivery inspection

But gas fitters don't want to advertise that they charge more per hour than a heart surgeon. They want to keep it a cosy secret that they are charging their customers over a grand per day. :mrgreen:

Your absolutely right Joe. We all earn 300k+ a year. :rolleyes:

I know that - and now does everyone else. :p

well you seem to know alot about heating and plumbing, so why dont you join in, your obviously bitter about it.

Not bitter. Just don't like rip off merchants - which is why so many short course fitters are popping up.

well my experience of this industry is that people get ripped off more on quality of work and service than they do on price.
Customer compares 2 quotes and see's one cheaper and assumes they're getting the same package from both people.
This trade is quite unique in that its very hard to compare to other industries, despite everyone trying...oh its like if you buy this or that...its not its nothing like any of those things. The quality of work, the quality of the fittings and products, the back up support, it all makes a big difference. A price doesnt tell you how good those things will be. A higher price doesnt always mean a good job and vice versa.

No-one can go out and give a quote without having an hourly rate in their head. That's how you come to a price. Cost of materials plus so many hours at X number of pounds.

I dont quote per hour. I quote for a day / 2 days / 3 days. Sometimes a day is 16 hours. If I hit problems my day can be very long. Perhaps I should 'estimate' the job? I can then legally charge more. If I change a pump I can quote the price of the pump and give a fixed price for labour - just like your beloved mechanic.

If I take my car to the garage they'll tell me the price of the part and a pretty accurate guide of the amount of time it will take to fit it. If it varies from that they'll ring me back and say they've hit a snag and will cost X amount of pounds extra.

I dont do that with heating repairs as Im more proffesional than a mechanic and can do a repair in the time Ive allowed. If I cant, I absorb the cost, as Ive quoted, as its legally binding.

But gas fitters don't want to advertise that they charge more per hour than a heart surgeon. They want to keep it a cosy secret that they are charging their customers over a grand per day.

I charge what I'm worth and it would appear (as I service over 500 boilers a year) that my customers are happy with my charges.

Seeing as you know what heart surgeons earn per hour, can you post please? I suspect you will not. :mrgreen:

Mr. W.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back