Can I remove this square of concrete myself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

In an old 'coal house' which is attatched to the house, I can only assume there used to be a sink or some kind here as there is this conreted in to the floor.

2gul3pc.jpg

I can pull the plastic pipe out but the concrete cube on the floor remains.

Can I remove this without damaging anything? I wanted to double check in case I cracked a drain or did some damage elsewhere, I should be alright choppign off the concrete right?

Any idea what this pipe was for ?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Not so much a coal house - more a out house ;) probably the old pipe is 4 inch glazed and someone made a connection to that waste pipe - break it out carefully and try not to let too much fall into the pipe.

If this pipe is connected to the waste water drain, does it have a trap in it? Otherwise it's going to smell a bit!

If it is a drain, shove some newspaper wrapped in a plastic bag down the pipe/cavity to prevent rubbish falling down there.
If necessary tie a piece of string around the plastic bag so it can be retrieved afterwards with all of the debris coming with it.

You're going to need to cap it off properly.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the replies.

interestingly there is no smell. there is no u bend or water trap to speak of i can jsut pull the plastic pipe out of the concrete, its about 6 inches long.

there is no draft or sond of movement below. It must go somewhere though!

its obviouls been cut off as you see there, from something.

im tempted to leave the concrete block in place and cap it off some how to stop crap getting down there. i want to used the area for dogs though so i would have liek to chip the block out with my sds hammer drill.

Cheers,

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back