Removing a chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have been asked by a friend if i know how to remove the chimney breast from his bedroom as he requires more wardrobe space.
I have not done this type of work before but asking a few people they tell me its a bit messy.
I know that i will need to support the ceiling but not quite sure where to start. If anyone can give me pointers/advice on where to start, that would be great.

property in question is a 3 bed semi. the room that i will be working on is upstairs back bedroom if thats any help.

Regards
Vinny

Sponsored Links
This work is notifiable and the BCO will want structural engineers calcs and suitably designed support for any stack left.
By just taking down the breast you could be compromising the strength of both yours and your neighbours properties.
As to where to start, start by getting a SE in to have a look

Thanks for the advice. I have been researching a bit more and this is a much more involved project than i thought. I will be advising my friend to get in touch with building control who will correctly advise him.

We will see what happens then & i'll keep you posted!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back