fitting carpet gripper on a stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When fitting carpet grippers to the stairs should they be glue/screwed instead of nailed? The reason I ask is that I read a label fixed to the stairs on a new build house saying that the gripper should be glued as nailing them could damage/loosen the stairs/treads.

what are peoples thoughts?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Glue them, Nailing on the riser can loosen the fixings between the riser and the tread, then the stairs creak.

OK if you can get to the back of the stairs to refix the riser, if you can't . . . . . . .

Glue them, Nailing on the riser can loosen the fixings between the riser and the tread, then the stairs creak.

OK if you can get to the back of the stairs to refix the riser, if you can't . . . . . . .

Hmmm - not necessarily, if you glue them you are stuck with them forever, you will not be able to remove them without trashing the stairs.

Modern houses have extremely fragile stairs, I cannot believe just how fragile - certainly cant see them lasting too long! They then fix these "use no nails" stickers on - how the hell are we supposed to fix the grippers? - incorrectly secured grippers mean a poorly secured carpet and that equals a householder descending the stairs much quicker than planned

Our fitters use a powerful stapler rather than glue, it seems to work Ok - use ring shank staples though!!!!

Sponsored Links

Hmmm - not necessarily, if you glue them you are stuck with them forever, you will not be able to remove them without trashing the stairs.

Modern houses have extremely fragile stairs, I cannot believe just how fragile - certainly cant see them lasting too long! They then fix these "use no nails" stickers on - how the hell are we supposed to fix the grippers? - incorrectly secured grippers mean a poorly secured carpet and that equals a householder descending the stairs much quicker than planned

Our fitters use a powerful stapler rather than glue, it seems to work Ok - use ring shank staples though!!!!

We have those fragile stairs, the original carper fitter (before we bought the house) nailed the grippers to the risers and knocked the ricers off the fixings and the stairs started creaking. When i built a wall to create a cupboard I took the plasterboard down and screwed the risers back

I would not take the risk of any impacts on the risers unless I could get to the back.

Can't believe this is causing so much confusion - OK, it would help if the stair manufacturers label said "Don't nail - use Glue OR Screws" but it's not like screws are a new invention! And before 'the professionals' start whinging (like here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WkdYsuScA ) there gadgets called screw-guns (or cordless screwdrivers if you want). Again, hardly new. Nice to see I have been vindicated - I hadn't heard of the 'no-nail' labels but it makes sense... most new stairs use MDF - for risers at least - and they just won't take being bashed at with a hammer. Bolstering and knee-kicking must be done with care too. I expect the cheapo stair manufacturers expect the carpet to just be stapled on these days - a rubbish finish to a rubbish product - but that's progress for you! MW

Can't believe this is causing so much confusion - OK, it would help if the stair manufacturers label said "Don't nail - use Glue OR Screws" but it's not like screws are a new invention! And before 'the professionals' start whinging (like here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8WkdYsuScA ) there gadgets called screw-guns (or cordless screwdrivers if you want). Again, hardly new. Nice to see I have been vindicated - I hadn't heard of the 'no-nail' labels but it makes sense... most new stairs use MDF - for risers at least - and they just won't take being bashed at with a hammer. Bolstering and knee-kicking must be done with care too. I expect the cheapo stair manufacturers expect the carpet to just be stapled on these days - a rubbish finish to a rubbish product - but that's progress for you! MW

martin - if you watch that video you will note that he didn't really hit it that hard.
You are right - It is when he bolsters the carpet in that he does the damage, this is because he will have to hit the bolster REALLY hard to ensure the carpet is held properly. This process can and often does split the join between tread and riser. Most budget staircases are a ply riser and MDF tread these have no more than 4 and usually 2 ring shank pins which are again fired by gun
This cheap (shoddy) method of construction makes a carpet fitters job nigh on impossible. I suspect the stairs wont last long just from the stress of walking on them
The staircase he was fitting was a proper one!!!!!!!
By the way this is quite an old post you have "woken up"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back