Help needed activating a bt extension socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies if this posted in the wrong area!

My apartment has 2 bt phone sockets. The master one is in the bedroom and the extension is in the living room (for some weird reason).

Basically i know the extension socket doesnt work as i have plugged the phone and Netgear router in it and there is no signal. I was just wondering if it is possible to wire the master so this extension socket becomes live?

Please see pictures below of the extensions wiring and the master socket.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Master Socket:

master socket by drokkeh, on Flickr

master socket-back by drokkeh, on Flickr

Extension Socket:

extension by drokkeh, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Well, assuming the bundle on the left of your top pic is the cable off to your extension socket, you simply need to connect the blue to 2, the white/blue to 5 and the orange to 3.

You should use an IDC tool to terminate these into the plate in your middle pic.

images

images

Yes, the wires on the left of the top pic seem to coming from a different source to the wires on the right. There are actually 2 extension sockets in the apartment. One in the living room and one in the second bedroom.

I am hoping the wires on the left of the first pic are coming from the extension in the living room, otherwise i assume they are bundled in the wires on the right somewhere.

See pic below:

wires by drokkeh, on Flickr

Just connect it as I said and see if both your extensions come live.

The cables are probably looped through your second extension socket.

Sponsored Links
I have ordered an IDC Tool from ebay. Someone has said that i dont need to connect the orange wire as this may affect the ADSL on the extension (once this extension is active i will move the ADSL router onto it).

I quote them below:

"you only need 2 and 5, especially if you're planning on hooking ADSL into the extension socket. Wire 3 is the old ring wire, and if you connect it then your adsl speed may be lower than without it connected. Why remove the ring wire?

Unfortunately, the ring wire can also act as an antenna, picking up interference from other electrical equipment in and around the house.

It is often found that disconnecting the ring wire improves the stability of a connection, sometimes considerably, especially on "star" wired telephone systems. "

Is this correct? Or does it not matter?

It can cause issues on long lines (from exchange) who still have an older NTE5a master socket.

Fitting a BT 'accelerator plate' will prevent this issue.

Disconnecting the orange terminal 3 at the NTE5a master socket only will increase performance if you have issues - best to connect it, if sync speed is poor, disconnect it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back