Minimum distance for an electrical socket to be near a sink?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my kitchen rewired and it appears that the electrical sockets are about 2 metres from the sink...not very handy for filling up a kettle!
Is there a regulation stating that an electrical socket has to be a minimum distance from the sink?

Sponsored Links
I'm having my kitchen rewired and it appears that the electrical sockets are about 2 metres from the sink...not very handy for filling up a kettle!
Why not?

Is there a regulation stating that an electrical socket has to be a minimum distance from the sink?
Not explicitly, but there are general ones about sockets having to be suitable for their locations, and assessments made of external influences etc.

300mm is widely regarded as a suitable minimum distance - personally I think it's too small, but 2m is rather high.

Why not ask your electrician why he's put them so close. If it's because he's realised that if you can you'll fill the kettle without unplugging it then I agree with his decision.

Prior to the rewiring, there was a double socket within standing distance of the sink.

I would ask the guy adding the sockets but he's a second fitter and from Poland.

Sponsored Links
Although the electrical regulation was dropped. Think 14th to 15th edition I am told it is still in the plumbing regulations? Can anyone confirm this?

The problem is there are times when fitting a socket within mm's of the sink does make sense as with the supply to a waist disposal unit and with the sink sealed to the wall and the socket being under the sink there are no real problems.

So to refer to "522.3.1 A wiring system shall be selected and erected so that no damage is caused by condensation or ingress of water during installation, use and maintenance. The completed wiring system shall comply with the IP degree of protection relevant to the particular location.
NOTE: Special considerations apply to wiring systems liable to frequent splashing, immersion or submersion." makes far more sense than giving a set distance.

If one can put the kettle under the tap while plugged in then 522.3.1 is not being complied with. However as to if the kettle lead should be shorter or the socket further away is the big question.

The so called cordless kettle does allow one to quickly and easily to unplug kettle from base and it can be filled directly without there being a danger from splashing or even dropping the kettle in the sink. Or at least dropping it in while plugged in. So I see no real need to resort to a dangerous practice when there is such an easy alternative.

supply to a waist disposal unit
bis-belt+machine.jpg

?

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back