Keston 170 boiler

HHL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the keston 170 boiler installed into my new house in 2002. Since the very beginning it has had problems, the heat exchanger was changed within just a few months, but only after about 4 different engineers had inspected it all blaming a leak in our underfloor heating system for the loss of pressure in our system.

For the past 6 years or so, the boiler won't start, the yellow power light comes on, the red light comes on but the green operating light does not and although calling for heat the boiler doesn't actually fire up, it just makes a lot of noise, the fan or pumps run, but no actual heat is generated.

My Keston trained plumber is at a loss, and asked me not to call him again!

So far it has cost me about the price of a new boiler in call out fees and parts, but still we can't get to the bottom of the problem.

We are thinking about changing the whole boiler for a new one, but we will have problems getting any other flue to work in our house as the boiler is in a basement.

Does any one have a new Keston boiler, the equivalent of the 170 that actually works well?

The easy option would be to simply replace it with another Keston, but I don't really want to. I don't think they deserve the business.

We have tried calling Keston, but from day one the were not interested, and as others have said before, would not send anyone out in the winter!

Is there another boiler manufacturer out there that uses 50mm flue pipe system.

Has anyone tried to take Keston to court for producing a product that it not fit for purpose?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware Keston flues are unique, not knowing your boiler location I can't see how hard it can be to install a standard boiler and associated flue.

Keston's are usually used in areas where running conventional flues can be too problematic or where a flue needs to travel a greater distance than a conventional flue is designed for

Equivalent power will be either Atag Q38 or Q51. 5 year warranty and a very respectable build quality. Have done several such swaps and never had a complaint against Atag and these were people who couldn't even say the word Keston with their blood pressure rising.

Note to OP .THERE ARE NO TROUBLE FREE KESTONS they never made one the only models availible are the same as yours they come with endless pre-loaded faults, leaks, and agro my advice -Get shot!! ;)

Sponsored Links
i had a customer tell me he was sold his keston as the 'rolls royce' of boilers. i agreed.

big, noisy, unreliable and cripplingly expensive when the do go wrong :LOL:

The Kestons look good and one would think that they will be good.

Unfortunately, the reality is that the HEs often split and leak and other parts fail making them one of the least reliable boilers.

Tony

its amazing how long a company can survive producing the worst products in the industry simply because the flue is quite handy. I predict they'll go down the pan now that builders can't hide them in ceilings and good riddance.

Mick, now that they have been bought by Ideal its unlikely they will be ceasing to trade!

Tony

Nop they'll drag Ideal even further down the pan! its funny how c**p boilers attract other c**p boilers! :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back