Telephone bleeping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the past two nights my bedroom telephone has started bleeping (not ringing) at precisely 1 am. It does not stop when I lift the handset.,the bleep is coming from the phone base. It bleeps for up to a minute and then stops but last night it started again. I did "1471" in case someone was trying to get through but got a message "that number has not been recognised". The phone is about 14 years old. What is the cause?

Sponsored Links
Providing the type and make of the phone would help.

And check there isn't an alarm clock function on the phone ( or an alarm clock in the cupboard ).

Other than that POSSIBLE but un-likely causes are :-

routine line checks being made from the exchange ( very unlikely to give more than one bleep )

Changes in mains supply voltage when Off Peak or similar switching happens in the area.

Thank you Bernard for your help. I think the bleeping might be a pulse tone. The phone is a Geemarc Venice wall slimline phone. It was here when we movedin so is probably quite old. Don't know if it has an alarm function. Can't see anything like that. No alarm clocks in the house. I did 1471 on another phone and 08000285085 came up. BT said it wasn't one of their numbers and to ring it. Did that and got the message "This is BT trying to contact you. Will try again later". Told BT. They said they will sort it out.

I am told there is a number to key in your phone which rings your own phone so you can tell if it is working OK. Do you know what the number is?

Sponsored Links
It varies depending on the type of exchange you are connected to.

And it is not supposed to be given out to subscribers ( sorry.. customers ) in case they mis use it.

While I was trying to sort out my Beeping problem with BT someone told me the number and said if I key it in my own phone will ring but I can't remember what it was.

It was bleeping again at 1 am this morning. Phoned BT again. They say there is no fault on the line and want to send out an engineer to check the wiring at a cost. If it was a wiring problem it wouldn't bleep just at 1 am every morning. I did 1471 but no number came up. Is it possible that someone can ring my number automatically at 1 am every morning, perhaps as a joke? I will have to disconnect the phone every night.

Even stranger. I unplugged the bedrrom phone last night and left the cord lying on the floor. At 1.00 am as usual we got the "bleep bleep bleep ...." from the unplugged phone. We have no cordless phones and my broadband modem is plug in so goodness knows what is going on.

To do a bt line test ring 17070 and listen to the options...but I suspect the line is fine
If you unplugged the phone and it is still bleeping it must have a battery in it for power and maybe a alarm set at 1am??
Are you sure its the phone and not a smoke alarm near to it bleeping , trust me I have seen this done...tonight unplug and move the phone to another room and see what happens then

Thank you Johnboy.The phone is a corded Binotone Trend 2 LCD Model No.0121 and has no option for an alarm function.The smoke alarm is on the landing ceiling and nowhere near the phone. The Bleeping is quite loud when I put my ear to the phone so it is definitely coming from there. I cannot see anywhere on the phone for a battery and there is nothing about a battery in the instructions.

I should have told you that we had the problem with our old phone which was 14 years old so we thought that was the trouble and bought a new one which is the Binotone and we still have the problem.

Are you saying the Binatone one also bleeps at 1am when disonnected?

If yes then do you have some fairly high powered transmitting site fairly local to you that carries out some automatic transmission each night (morning??) automatic data transmission for instance?

Leave the phone, disconnected, in another room at night and does it still bleep?

Thank you Alan. It is the Binotone phone that bleeps when disconnected. We didn't try that with the old Geemarc phone. We just chucked it and put in the Binotone. We live in a village. I don't know if there is anything transmitting data. We are going to leave the phone disconnected downstairs in the hall and if it bleeps we will hear it.

So 2 phones bleep without being plugged in????????????? in order to bleep it will need voltage from somewhere 50v from phone line but then if its not plugged in it must have a power source...or do you live next door to a mast that is transmitting to mars :D :D....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back