Yale HSA6400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondering if anyone can help out there...
I have the Yale HSA6400 Premium and like the product. I have 2 door/window sensors on front and back doors and 2 PIRs which all work fine.
I have now purchased 5 additional door/window contacts to cover the upstairs windows. I have a flat roof at the back of the house and the windows above it are an obvious target - yet as they are bedrooms, I did not want to use PIR's so that they can be covered at night whilst my kids sleep.
The trouble is, although the contacts are within 10 meters of the control panel, once fixed to the windows (metal double glazed with plastic covering) they are not recognised by the panel.
I have walk tested to death and as soon as I get near the back bedroom window or back bathroom window they fall out of range.
I have read that they should cover 30 meters.
I assume I have a steel joist in the floor under the windows that may cause an issue but not sure.
Other than moving the panel upstairs which is not an option for obvious reasons, this means that the alarm is fairly pointless for me.
Can I boost the signal or any other suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The specification in the Yale document includes this sentence

Radio operational range 30m in a typical domestic installation, range can vary depending on building construction, device positions and RF environment.

Metal window frames will have an affect on the radio signal from the sensor.

Putting a conductive loop ( the window frame ) round the sensor could ( depending on dimensions of the metal frames ) re-direct most of the radiated power from the sensor into two horizontal energy beams with little going down towards the control panel. And what does then gets absorbed by the metal beam under the floor.

I understand, although I would guess that a fair percentage of 3 bed semi houses have this type of standard double glazing as opposed to the upvc type. Especially when I am so far in range of the panel.
Any suggestions to get around it - maybe mounting the sensors on a rubber base or something?
Thanks for the quick reply.

Mounting on rubber will make no difference, the problem is a result of the sensor transmitter being close to a conductive frame which modifies the direction ( polar diagram ) that the radio signal takes when it leaves the transmitter.

If the environment is such that legally permitted radio communication between the sensor and the control panel is not reliable then you will have to either use wired sensors or modify the environment.

I do not know if Yale provide "split" sensors where the sensor is connected by a short cable to the radio module. If they did then this would enable the sensor to be fitted where it was needed and the radio module to be placed nearby in a location where the immediate environment allowed it to communicate reliably with the control panel.

Sponsored Links
Nope you`ll need big boys panels for that!

Galaxy RF Portals Texecom Mesh Scantronic I-on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back