Any Sony VCR experts out there?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I posted this in "Appliances" by mistake. :oops:

Hello all. Can anyone help? My old Akai VCR packed up and I bought a Sony SLV-E730EX/UX (1998) complete with remote at a local Cash Converters, who assured me it was working. Downloaded and printed the User Manual, too.

But there is a problem. It has a habit of showing the word "CUE" on the display panel and then going into FF - fast forward. No matter how many times I try to stop it and rewind, or play, it still keeps doing it and it's driving me mad. I have seen somewhere that Sony have this as a fast search facility, to find Index Points on a tape, where multiple recordings have begun, but I want it to stop doing it. I have looked through the manual: http://tv.manualsonline.com/manuals/mfg/sony/slve730exux_1.html but can't figure out how to sort it.

Also I haven't been able to wire it up properly through my Freeview box, so far I've just been playing it through the four analogue channels on the tv.

If anyone can help, please be gentle with me - I don't understand techie-speak very well.

Sponsored Links
There are two sets of FFWD and RWND buttons on the remote: Those around the jog dial will do the function you want without bringing up CUE. If you use the ones next to the Volume & Channel buttons then these are for CueSearch and will always bring up CUE on the display.

So, to recap...

* For basic FFWD or RWND press 'stop' and then the direction you want using the buttons on the jog dial

* For visual search - while the tape is playing press either FFWD or RWND on the jog dial.

* For CueSearch to find each recording start point on the tape then use the CueSearch buttons near the Vol & Ch +/- keys.

Hook up to your TV: There is more than one way to skin a cat. How did you have your AKAI hooked up and what did you need to press to see & record Freeview on to tape?

Thanks Chris. Tried all you said but nothing worked. In the end rang Sony technical help. They said a drum had become faulty and that I should either see a Sony engineer (big bucks! for a second-hand machine - I think NOT!) or take it back to the shop. Which I am doing this afternoon.

To be honest, a "wanted" post on your local freecycle group will probably finish up with people giving you more VCRs than you know what to do with, and for free.

Failing that, charity shops have lots for around £5 - £10 here, and they should have been tested to make sure they work as well.

HTH,

Colin

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

I got it back the other day. Cash Converters' technician found that the remote control was faulty, they gave me another one and it now appears to be working ok.

I still have one more teeny problem and that is that I can't wire it up. I simply don't know how to get it to run through the Freeview box.

Chris, my old Akai didn't have a Scart socket, and I don't remember even if I ran it through the Freeview box, it's been so long since I used it. Also, the tv is a different one now.

So, I have a Freeview box with one Scart socket, a VCR with two, and an old Bush tv with one. I have remotes for each machine. I have one Scart lead, and one loose aerial in/out lead. And the lead to the aerial on the roof.

I have no idea how to link them all together so I can perhaps just use one or at the most two remotes, and how I can play the video in conjunction with Freeview. I have tried just about every combination suggested on the internet and am still having to play the video just through the tv.

Would it help if I put photos of the backs of the machines on here?

Are you sure your Freeview box allows wiring in the way that you want?

Chris, I think it must, because this appears in the instruction manual.

DSC01603.jpg

Guess I'll just have to fiddle about a bit more ...

OK. Useful info. Thx.

The next thing to try is to adjust the way the SCART signals are handled.

SCART can carry three different signal formats. The two most commonly used by a Freeview box are Composite Video (A.K.A. CVBS or PAL or Video) and RGB. Your video recorder uses Composite Video only.

The thing to do now is to set the TV and Freeview box to Composite video and see if you get the VCR to show through the Freeview box when you press the appropriate buttons.

Chris, thank you, but as I said in my first post, I'm dim when it comes to technical language. You are obviously much cleverer and switched on, and I'm sure if you were here you'd have the whole thing sorted in no time.

Thanks for all your help.

Hi there,

I hope can add some pointers - I've had a couple of beers, so exuse me if I run away with the details or make a silly mistake! Or indeed have the wrong end the stick completely.

Your current set up allows various ways of connecting your equipment - none of which will be particularly user friendly or picture quality friendly.

If it was me i'd try the following:

Connect your incoming aerial feed to the freeview box, then an RF lead between the loop-through socket on the FV box and the VCR aerial input. Next connect a scart lead between the FV scart skt & the VCR AV2 input skt, then a second scart lead between the AV1 in/out skt on the VCR & the TV scart skt.

Always have the TV set on AV channel.

This way, you can record & watch analogue TV via the VCR channel selections & watch or record FV channels by setting the VCR to AV2.

But, you can only record the same FV channel that you are watching. Analogue recording and watching other analogue channel or FV channel will be possible.

Also, dependent on the passthrough capabilities of your VCR scarts, may reduce the quality of the FV signal path to the TV.

Oh, and you'll need all three remotes (if only for volume on the TV).

You'll also need the VCR switched on all the time while watching, which can be a pain if you wish to set the timer, again that may depend on the passthrough capabilities.

Hope some of that makes sense & good luck with it.

P.S. I think you can ignore the quote from the manual for the FV box in my setup senario, that just toggles the scart function switching for the TV, which would be controlled via the VCR, so leave that in DTV mode.

Would you concur Chris?

Would you concur Chris?
Yes; and as you said, there are a few ways to connect.

I think the answer for matahari is to get a friend or relative in who is a bit more tech-savvy to help follow our guidance. :)

Yes, I reckon you're right Chris, but if the OP follows the advice I gave to the letter, a bit of hands on friendly advice will be imperitive.

Did I miss anything Chris?

(Just for my own piece of mind)

I think you covered all the bases. No matter how good the advice offered is though, it can't replace someone with a little experience sat in front of the gear. For example, the VCR pass through is most likely composite video, so the TV SCART input should be set to composite video too if the TV doesn't automatically select.

What I think what matahari would like is an explicit set of step-by-step instructions.... But the problem is that AV doesn't work that way. In fact, very few bits of technology work that way. We learn a general way of working for each bit of tech, then adapt it for the new brand or updated model.

Totally agree Chris,

But I have to point out that RGB scart does use the composite video pin for the sinc pulse, so switching it to CVBS will achieve nothing.

Just splitting hairs though!

All the best & as you say - hands on is the best approach.

Chris said "What I think what matahari would like is an explicit set of step-by-step instructions.... "

Spot on, Chris! Better than that would be someone who knew what they are doing. I only have one Scart lead, and one loose double-ended aerial lead. I suppose I'll have to get another Scart lead, then.

Oh dear, that wouldn't work as two of the machines only have one scart socket. Back to square one then. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back