Upstairs spur is from downstairs ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was checking for voltage in the earth circuit in the bedroom as I noticed the little screws in two sockets were 'live' according to crappy neon screwdriver. (The other upstairs sockets were ok). So I used my multimeter to check the actual difference between neutral and earth. It was approx 17volts. On further investigation the two (double) sockets were connected under the floorboards with a standard 20amp junction box. Inside I found the problem - the earth from the supply was not connected (presumed fallen out, although it looks like it was put together like that at some point in the past).

Anyway, the supply wire itself is a single wire, ie a spur from somewhere. I assumed from the upstairs ring (as you would) but when I flipped the circuit breaker for the upstairs ring, it does not affect this wire (and therefore those two double sockets). It turns out the wire is from the downstairs ring (to what / from where exactly I can't tell / see)

The house has had extension work in the past so that may be where it came from, but the question is, I presume I should not leave it like this? The problem is there is no nearby handy upstairs socket to run from instead.

Sponsored Links
IIt turns out the wire is from the downstairs ring (to what / from where exactly I can't tell / see)

The house has had extension work in the past so that may be where it came from, but the question is, I presume I should not leave it like this? The problem is there is no nearby handy upstairs socket to run from instead.

That'll be why 'they' wired it like that.

There is nothing wrong with that, as anyone working on the wiring should test for dead before doing it, but labelling the circuit in the consumer unit 'downstairs and bedroom x spur' would be prudent.

A label inside the socket box itself would not be a bad idea.

And ditch the neon screwdriver before it kills you.

ok actually I posted prematurely before - the wire has it's own circuit breaker labelled 'boiler & immersion heater'. In that area there used to be a big water cylinder, but we now have a combi boiler. So it is a left over from that I suppose.

I will relabel the circuit breaker to indicate it does some upstairs bedroom sockets. Cheers[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back