pull-cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a pull-cord switch for a heated towel-rail. There are 2 reds, 2 blacks & 2 bare wires twisted together coming from ceiling. In the old switch, the reds went to 2 separate L terminals, the blacks to 2 separate N terminals, & the earths to a side terminal. But the new switch just has 3
terminals: COM, 1WAY & 2WAY plus a bit on the baseplate presumably for the earths.

From one thread on this site it seems both reds go to one terminal & both blacks to another - but surely they should be separate as originally wired?

Shouldn't I put the earths in the baseplate terminal, both blacks into COM, & separate the reds between 1WAY & 2WAY? or should I put the reds into COM & the blacks in the other two? OK it sounds like I know nothing but I am turning off the mains & doing pretty diagrams!

Sponsored Links
the switch you have now is a two way switch (3 terminals)
the switch you have removed is a double pole switch (4 terminals)

in short you have the wrong switch for your use

what is the rating of your "heater" i know its a bit big but this is a double pole isolator

other suppliers of double pole isolators are available

highlandcow said:
OK it sounds like I know nothing but I am turning off the mains & doing pretty diagrams!
Include in your pretty diagrams the internal workings of a switch and you'll see why what you propose will result in a ****** great BANG

Thanks Breezer for the very helpful reply.

Have found double-pole switches in B&Q which match, one is rated 16 amps, the other 45 amps with neon. The plug I cut off the heater was 13 amp fused & so was the existing FCU I connected it to.

Chap in B&Q said a 16-amp one would do - but the wires are very thick & the 45 amp one looks more like the original one (and the one in your hyperlink) so I got that.

Thanks
highlandcow

Sponsored Links
Was this circuit originaly an electric shower circuit, that is no longer in use for its original purpose, so has been used for the towel rail instead?

I doubt there was an electric shower in the bathroom - this is a stone croft house (you can tell how old by the afterthought kitchen extension & being 4 feet from the railway) - it was "modernised" some time ago with ancient electric heater in the bathroom, shower cubicle in the bedroom & heated towel rail beside the bed. All I have done is throw out the bathroom heater & move the towel rail into the bathroom. Thought it would be ok as both appliances had same fuse rating. But it could be a shower circuit serving both rooms.

Towel rails in my experience are around 120W max, so I cannot see the need for a 45A switch. If you have a high powered radial circuit feeding the towel rail, it should be fused down.

Och well I've dunnit now & everything works fine. Mainly got the larger switch for the neon & matching the original, & the wires were too thick to fit the little one.

now for my next project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back