TV Aerial Spitter - removing the unit from setup- HELP! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping someone can help me with some info :)
1st post here & I'm not the most technically minded so please go easy on me!

We had a TV aerial installed at the start of this year and the installer setup the above so that we could have 3 aerial inputs- the unit is a Wolsey WPS100/1 Power Supply Unit.
wps1001.jpg

http://www.aerialshack.com/wolsey-wps1001-power-supply-unit-masthead-amplifiers-p-752.html

However we've since realised we'll only ever need/use 2 so would ideally like to eliminate the need for this box as its continually switched on & involves extra cables around the TV that certainly wouldn't be missed!

I'm not entirely sure what the setup is on the roof or how I go about eliminating the box so i'd be really grateful if someone can explain this to me.

Currently we have one cable running into the front of the house ground level, another running into the back of house at basement level and another running into the back of house ground level (this is the only one that connects to the Wolsey device- aerial input into the unit & cable then runs to TV). The one we want to get rid of is the front of house one. May also want to remove the cable also as its a bit unsightly (black on a white house- vain i know!)

So far i have tried removing the unit from the setup where it is in back end of ground floor but the signal then doesn't seem to work. Is the setup on the roof likely to be the same as if we didn't have this unit, or do would things need changing up there if we got rid of this box??

Also, is this box likely to have any benefit on the general signal strength when we are only using 2 signals or is it only relevant when using 3, as the signal can be a bit poor at times (and that's when we're only really using the one TV).

Any help much appreciated! :)

Sponsored Links
The device you've shown in the picture is a power supply. Its job is to power an amplifier that is close to the aerial. It sounds like the amplifier is being used to split the signal to three separate feeds but it also amplifies the signals to ensure each television receives sufficient signal. If you remove the power supply, the splitter and amplifier will simply stop working and you will get no signal to any of the three outlets.

If you are noticing a low signal strength, the amplifier is probably playing an important role in increasing the signal strength. Having said that, some RF splitters have been known to add noise to the signal and reduce the effective quality rather than improve it. The only way to find out is to remove the power supply and remove the amplifier which is likely to be in the loft space. In each case, you will need to connect the input and output leads together to bypass the boxes.

Because the splitter is an active type, removing the cable from the front of the house should have no effect on the remaining lines. Before doing anything, it's probably good to call the installer. He will know how the system was installed and will also have a good knowledge of the signal strengths in your area. That local knowledge goes a long way in setting up the best systems. You will probably get a definitive answer from him in a few minutes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back