Moving an Attic Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our neighbours have a Valliant (not sure which model) in the attic, attached to the party wall (solid brick). When the water is on 24 hours or it’s very cold a deep hum is quite audible and we get woken up in the night.

I’m thinking one option would be to move it to the other side of the attic which is an external wall to remove the vibration
problem and maybe put a cupboard over it to reduce the noise.

Can anyone give an guestimate on how much this might cost (London)? I’m assuming that the pipework can be run across the attic from its current position which would be a run of about 13 ft. I’m not clear on whether this could include a pipe to the existing flue or whether a new one would need to be put through the roof in the new location.

Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
What if your neighbours dont want to move there boiler?
easy option put sound deafening plasterboard on the wall and it would be cheaper

As the sound is coming through the wall down from the attic into the bedroom I had assumed that doing the whole bedroom wall would be more expensive than moving it across the attic space. Unless you mean putting the boiler itself on soundproof plasterboard?

I've read in a few places that soundproofing walls is not always effective.

Sponsored Links
also depends if the gas run needs upgrading due to extra length. whats the neighbour said anyway. as its there choice.

Have you asked your neighbours if they are willing to move the boiler?
I can think of a number of reasons whey this would be a rather expensive exercise. (if you want to do it legally and safely)

Yes we've briefly discussed moving it.

It's obviously a last resort and not to be taken lightly but when you're being woken up regularly it's a bit of a nightmare. I'm not sure what other options there are ..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back