Cleaning paint from PVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have any tips on getting old paint off PVC window frames without scratching the plastic?

Sponsored Links
We are talking loads of old paint plus some plaster that was not cleaned off originally.
I was hoping for some sort of tool e.g. wooden spoon or something, as i wont have any finger nails left otherwise!

Sponsored Links
You need a plastic scraper first (as Diyisfun says) After scraping off as much as you can, give it a rub over with T Cut or similar. This will polish out any small scratches. ;) ;)

HI, that all sounds a bit drastic, I have used a wipe called 'wonderwipes' before.
They cleaned off expanding foam from my door, so I would have thought they would sort out your paint problems.
I bought mine online www.gbplastics.co.uk but I think a lot of the builders merchants sell them too.
Try them first, it has to be better than scraping and t-cutting

Thanks for tip. I will give them a go, however they do say they are good for semi cured paint and mine is circa 10 years old
They sound worth having anyway to use after i have decorated.

I have a pack in my tool kit all the time now, they are dead handy, and definately worth a try before you try anything more drastic!

Just discovered another useful tip. My missus' nail varnish remover did a good job. Basically removed all the dirt and softened any thick pain making it easy to scrape off with an old credit card.

This thread maybe 5 years old but I need to say the "nail varnish" advice is fantastic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back