ideal isar he24, honeywell diverter head leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a leaking diverter valve on the Ideal He24 and would be extremely grateful for any help.

The water is dripping from the bottom of the diverter head and down the electrical connector.

Do I need to change the honeywell diverter head (Honeywell part no:VC6012-34) or do I need to change the Diverter valve body (Ideal part no: 173 624) or is there any other fix.

Currently I have to refill the boiler every day as the drip causes loss of pressure.

I know leaking diverter valve has been discussed here before but even after hours of searching I am still looking for my answer and would very much appreciate any help, so thank you in advance :unsure:

i

Sponsored Links
the cartridge inside the diverter probably needs replacing 174200,you need to get someone who knows what they are doing

Hi, thanx for the response. Changing the cartridge won't be a problem for me. I just need to diagnose the problem. The water is leaking downwards from the cartridge and diverter head union (i.e. where they both meet flush, sorry that’s the best I can do)

I’ve also noticed that when the boiler was new, twisting the diverter valve and taking it off required much more strength. Now it only needs a slight assistance of a couple of fingers.

I think you are right that it is probably going to be the cartridge.

Thanx again for your reply

replaced the diverter valve cartridge (147200). That solved the leaky diverter head problem. The boiler ran fine for three days and now no heating!

The burner light keeps flashing but pressure reads 1 and cold rads. Although hot water is ok

Anybody out there please help.

Sponsored Links
The water has probably got into the actuator head and damaged it.

thanks for response.

I would just like to add a bit more information as to how the boiler messed up so that you guys can fully diagnose the problem with more accuracy.

The boiler was dropping pressure due to a leaky radiator so I had to top up the boiler every now and again. unfortunately on one of these occasions I didn't shut the isolation valve on the filling loop properly, which the corgi installer left attached and as a result the system was over filled. The pressure bar had made a complete swing to the right and boiler was leaking from several points including the actuator head. The heating was also on throughout the night and radiators were warm in the morning.

I drained the boiler to attain the correct pressure and eventually the only leak that didn't fix it self was the one from the diverter head. The drip on the diverter head required the boiler to be refilled every 24 hours and this went on for about two weeks the most until with the help of this brilliant forum and the brilliant contributors I replaced the diverter valve cartridge that had a worn seal to fix the final leak.

So... the cause of the problem clearly was excess pressure that the boiler had to operate in for about 12hrs

Hi
My boiler has just started the same problem, I had a lockout then noticed burning at the connector at the bottom of the diverter motor. Water was leaking onto it.
Dry it works fine for 10 mins, gets wet and starts to fizzle, bad design.
I've cut away all the charred insulation and re-insulated the wires.
The kit is massively expensive when all that is probably needed is an O ring.
When you say that replacing the cartridge is for someone who knows what they are doing, can you please give me more details, sequence, any clips to undo first, look out for springs whistling over my shoulder, tips etc.
Thanks
Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back