Bathroom Fan Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am proposing to install a down flow fan heater above the door of my Bathroom ,to replace an existing radiant heater. It will be in Zone2, so I need an IPX4 rated unit. There seem to be only Dimplex and Creda models suitable.
There is 227 cm from floor to ceiling and only 28 cm above the door. Either Fan heater would fit,but there would not be much space above. Dimplex specify 20+ cm required above. I cannot find any relevant info about the Creda. So,as the air inlet is on the front and the outlet is obviously on the bottom.is there a need for any clearance above? Is there any expert out there who has fitted one?
Incidentally,before Electricians start to quote Regs to me,The Fan will be wired to a FCU and then to a 30mA RCD.

Sponsored Links
You would best be guided by what the Building Control Officer says.

Replacing an appliance on existing cabling isn't notifiable under Part P.

I don't think it would be notifiable under Part L either.

If the heater is fitted too close to the ceiling then the air hot air rising from the outlet may go round to the inlet too quickly and the heater overheat without the rest of the room getting warm.

Claudgen also make downflow heaters

http://www.dealec.co.uk/acatalog/Claudgen_Downflow_Fan_Heaters.html

Replacing an appliance on existing cabling isn't notifiable under Part P.

Sorry about that it was the
The Fan will be wired to a FCU and then to a 30mA RCD.
making think he had changed the circuit and
I am proposing to install a down flow fan heater above the door of my Bathroom ,to replace an existing radiant heater.
making me think that it was not a like for like replacement.

In fact now I come to think about it at what point does it not become a like for like replacement.
For example an extractor fan replaced by a timer extractor fan - would not be like for like and therefore come under part p. Whereas a extractor fan with timer replaced by one with a humidifier?

Sponsored Links
In fact now I come to think about it at what point does it not become a like for like replacement.
For example an extractor fan replaced by a timer extractor fan - would not be like for like
"Like for like" is an irrelevant and incorrect distraction.

The term "like-for-like" does not appear in the law, nor does any description of any similar concept.

and therefore come under part p.
And it is also irrelevant to that. The only thing that has a bearing on whether work comes within the scope of Part P is whether it is in, or associated with, or connected to the same supply as, a dwelling.

This heater replacement does "come under" Part P.

34245971.jpg

As does the adding (if that's what's being done) of an FCU and a 30mA RCD. Additionally the former will be notifiable if it's going to be within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath or a shower in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2.

Adding an RCD is notifiable under all circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back