Camray Quartet 9/110

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above quite old but regularly serviced oil boiler

Over the last couple of weeks it has sometimes (but not always) made a sort of 'pinking' sound for a minute or two when starting up from cold in the morning or when fired up during the night by the frost stat.

Otherwise its fine. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks - would I not hear the noise at other times when the boiler was on - rather than just when it fires up from cold in the morning?

I wondered whether it was in any way related to the cold weather?

Could be fuel pump on the way out, which 'oils' itself after a little use. If you turn it off whilst running, does the motor come to an abrupt halt, or can you hear it slowing down?

Sponsored Links
Well I'm not sure if its the bioler or the fuel pump I can hear but when its switched off it sort of powers down - so not abrupt - assuming what I am hearing is the fuel pump

Could be kettling of the Heat exchanger or even the baffles if they are a bit tight fitting!! whilst the boiler is making the noise, press & hold in the Burner lock out reset, this will stop the burner but keep the rest of the system operating, if the noise does not stop immediately then it is not connected to the burner if the noise stops as soon as the button is held in, then you have a burner issue. simples!! ;)

Thanks - will try that in the morning - take it that might be wear and tear rather then weather related

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back