Worcester Bosch greenstar problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with our 3 year old Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30 CDI conventional condenser boiler / Honeywell controller.
Recently switched heating & hot water to constant in the bad weather, central heating ok but hot water not heating up, does anyone know why ?

Luckily we have an immersion element in the cylinder on timer whch we are having to use. The boiler works correctly when on auto with both heating & water coming on twice a day, as soon as we switch to constant we have no hot water via the boiler.
Personally I wish we kept our 30 year old Potterton Kingfisher, which we only changed because it was old & rusty, it would have still been going now - this new boiler is rubbish & so unreliable, the main panel was replced within 11 months (just inside warranty - lucky) it is always playing up - fault codes etc , in short its a piece of crap, as are all the new style boilers from what I have heard via freinds & family.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, thats something to go on, no idea what the 2 or 3 port valve is tho.

Why does it work ok on auto - twice a day with no problems ?

Sponsored Links
The Worcester 30CDI is one of the most reliable of its type out there, in my experience, made by Junkers/Bosch in Germany.

Your boiler has no idea whether it is heating your hot water or radiators, so your latest fault is not boiler related.

I suspect a wiring fault, you need to get your installer back methinks. Nearly 80% of manufacturer callouts in the first 24 months are down to faulty installation practices, rather than the boiler itself.

Does yor boiler fire up with only hot water called for
I can check that, but I am not doing it whilst we have this cold snap, for fear of not resetting etc, at the moment we are getting by & have heating & can use the immersion to heat water.
I find this boiler far too complicated, personally I don't think the controller is talking to the boiler, so will get our man in asap.
Thanks for your comments, I will try what you suggested, so we can get to the bottom of the problem.

The Worcester 30CDI is one of the most reliable of its type out there, in my experience, made by Junkers/Bosch in Germany.

Your boiler has no idea whether it is heating your hot water or radiators, so your latest fault is not boiler related.

I suspect a wiring fault, you need to get your installer back methinks. Nearly 80% of manufacturer callouts in the first 24 months are down to faulty installation practices, rather than the boiler itself.

Thanks for your comments, just checked & got the install date wrong, so its 4 1/2 years old.
As posted earlier, I thought it may be a wiring problem, but that does not explain why its been working ok for the last 4 years + albeit with intermittent problems.
This may be an ancillary problem, but personally I don't think these boilers are what they are cracked up to be, we only changed our 30 year old Potterton kingfisher because it was inherited with the house, rusty & old, sad fact is that it never let us down over 12 years. This all singing & dancing, "quasi efficient" , condenser boiler failed within the first 2 years & had to have a complete new PCB panel, (luckily 1 month within warranty), its always having intermittent problems & fault codes, that we have to reset. So much for technology, I do not think this boiler was ever designed to last & it definitely will not see 30 years - sorry to sound cynical, but I think the designers are well aware of that.

Does yor boiler fire up with only hot water called for

Just had a thought - we only had it heating hot water throughout the summer months - don't know if that helps ?
I suppose we still need to check it asap - I suspect it won't fire !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back