Central Heating Installation - Routing Pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just moved into a 3 bed bungalow that does not have central heating. Our first project is to install an oil CH system, however I need advice on the best method of installing pipework. The floors are concrete and are as hard as diamond. Installing the supply and return pipework in the floor is going to be a hard task and will create a lot of mess. I'm not sure of the current regs on doing this either, are you allowed fittings in the floor etc?

A friend suggested that I could run the heating pipework through the loft space and then chase out drop points in the walls (blockwork) and install microbore to the radiators. I am not familiar with microbore and am not sure how well this would work. Can anyone point me in the direction of some info on installing microbore (pipe size, velocity calcs etc.) and is this a viable option?

Your advice is much appreciated, any other ideas welcome.

Sponsored Links
I think your friends idea is a good one indeed. Probably all the info you need already on the plastic pipe manufacturers web pages eg hep2o, speedfit etc. The micro bore pipes run from the main pipes using a manifold.

I would make the system a pressurised (unvented) one (as are most modern systems run from a combi boiler).

The only disadvantage with this design is that every radiator will need a drain valve fitting, but thats not too bad.

the central heating system, not the hot water cylinder.

We do it that way here in brum cos we're all at the cutting edge.

I bet your northern combi's require the customer to start um with news paper and kindling every morning........... :p

Sponsored Links
I still have an open fire if thats what you mean. :LOL: :LOL:

As for Combi's I shall be fitting my second one next week.

:LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back