Replacing flourescent strip with pendant fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I have 2 strip lights in a room, which are plugged into a ceiling rose affair (basically a bayonet fitting with an attachment and two sets of wires feeding the existing lights) and want replace it with a bog standard pendant whilst the ceiling is plastered and then put in a new nicer ceiling lamp.

I tried initially just putting a bulb into the existing bayonet fitting, but the light wont come on. Put the strip light fitting back into the bayonet, it works.

Went and bought a new pendant, removed the current fitting and wired in the pendant, power back on, standard bulbs still wont work. Plug the strip light fitting into the pendant, strip lights work..

Any thoughts on what am doing wrong - i just cant figure out why one set of lights work, others don't. It's all running off a junction box in the loft, nothing sophisticated i don't think..

Any suggestions appreciated.

St.

Sponsored Links
(basically a bayonet fitting with an attachment and two sets of wires feeding the existing lights)

A photo would help.

Do the strip lamps have filaments or are they flourescent tubes ?

Is the attachment [1] between the lamps and the bayonet plug or [2] between the ceiling and the bayonet socket. ?

If [2] then it is probably a control gear unit ( ballast etc ) for the strip lights and will not allow enough energy to pass for a normal lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back