Frozen boiler condensation pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope this is the right place to ask.

Combi condensing boiler in the cellar, below ground level, pumps the condensed water up to ground floor, through wall, and then it falls back down 3 feet to a drain.

Last year it froze up constantly, many a day pulling the tube back through, quick rub with a hot water bottle and fixed.

This year I lagged the pipe outside, bit of a bodge, seemed to do the trick, but the tube is now freezing in the cavity of the wall, not the outside or inside.

What can I do, the hole in the wall for the tubing is too small to lag the pipe inside the wall.

The tubing does not fall away until outside of the wall, is this the problem?If the hole was diag through the wall, would this allow the water to fall away so there is no water in the tube in the wall to freeze?

Bry

Sponsored Links
Drill a bigger whole and insulate it through the wall ;)

It crossed my mind, alas I don't have the tools for that. Though maybe I could get BG to do it via the annual cover they provide, if they don't want to, i could threaten them with ringing them up every day to come and de frost it.

Out of interest, does anybody have any idea how much water is condensed, I mean, if I pull the tubing through, and say just run it to a bucket in the cellar while it is extremely cold outside, how long until said bucket fills up?

Bry

Sponsored Links
Is a litre an hour high?

Must admit I have gone with the bucket scenario for tonight anyway, not fathing around outside in the cold and the dark, and the pump has only discharged once in the last 2 hours, and it certainly was not a litre.

Okay, how much could i expect, condensation from a isar running 12 hrs a day? read a litre a day on here?

In a Worcester manual I have it quotes maximum condensate production rates of 1lpm for a 12 kW, 2lpm for 24 kW. This is probably calculated from how much H20 is produced from burning gas at that rate.

If you want to minimise condensate production, turn your boiler thermostat up to Maximum! That should stop it condensing:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back