Vaillant Condensing Boiler Ecotec Plus18.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I changed my old boiler to a condensing type at end of Feb. this year.
During the summer it was on water heating only and did a good job more economically than the old one. Since switching to central heating in the autumn it is using noticeably more gas than the old model, particularly when I turn it up.
All radiators have TRV's and although I have detected the roomstat is not performing properly and will need moving, I do not believe this will be sufficient to cure the problem given that the extra gas usage is up to at least a third more.
My gas meter was changed in August but I am told that it is unlikely to be faulty and that if I ask for it to be tested I will bear the cost if they find it OK.

Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
as this appliance was changed in feb this year, have you not asked your installer to check gas rates etc, which he would have no doubt done at the time of install, if i had been the installer i would be curious to know why it was consuming gas at the rate you are assuming, call your installer :!:

I changed my old boiler to a condensing type at end of Feb. this year.
During the summer it was on water heating only and did a good job more economically than the old one. Since switching to central heating in the autumn it is using noticeably more gas than the old model, particularly when I turn it up.
All radiators have TRV's and although I have detected the roomstat is not performing properly and will need moving, I do not believe this will be sufficient to cure the problem given that the extra gas usage is up to at least a third more.
My gas meter was changed in August but I am told that it is unlikely to be faulty and that if I ask for it to be tested I will bear the cost if they find it OK.

Any suggestions ?

Depends how long you keep your heating on for plus it has got cold earlier and gas prices have got up

Just like a new computer people use new heating more particularly as they are more efficient.

In the meantime prices have gone up and we have very cold weather.

Has anyone recently calculated the cost of 100 cu ft of gas, thats one unit on the meter.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I send in my meter readings in on-line for my budget plan. They are in cubic metres and I have a spread-sheet of monthly and overall consumption for the last 5 years. It is not a question of prices so much as actual consumption.
My installer cannot account for the increase but has not offered to check the boiler. He points out that the roomstat could be defective and is not in the right area, which I know. I will contact him again and ask him to check the operation, but have the impression he would rather not get invoved.
I am grateful for the replies so far.

Regards.
Ray16

but have the impression he would rather not get invoved

i am sure he will if he has the intelligence/or knowledge of what to look for, and as long as you are prepared to pay for his time if its not anything to do with his install, or no fault at all.

Your new boiler is virtually unable to consume more gas and give out less heat. It burns gas and that produces heat which has to go somewhere in the house.

Your spreadsheet may sound good fun but it totally ignores the main factor which is the outside temperature as its that which determines how much heat you need.

Also you seem to have focussed on the possibility of the new gas meter over reading the consumption. If there was any metering error then the obvious candidate is the OLD meter under reading!

I am not surprised that your installer does not want to be involved. He knows as well as I do that there is nothing wrong with the new boiler.

The thermostat being in the wrong place may mean it controls the heat less correctly but it makes no difference to the fact that all heat you produce has to be paid for.

Tony Glazier

My old boiler was a GLOWORM SPACESAVER ( 1970'S VINTAGE) and gave good service. Both boilers rate around the 18 Kw mark.

The possibility of a sluggish old meter has occurred to me and I cannot ignore it.

I raised the query in the hope that someone had experienced the same problem and had found the answer. If the other options fail I will call Vaillant.

My thanks to all who have answered.

Just like a new computer people use new heating more particularly as they are more efficient.

In the meantime prices have gone up and we have very cold weather.

Has anyone recently calculated the cost of 100 cu ft of gas, thats one unit on the meter.

Tony
Hi, Been monitoring mine for last 6 weeks.Scottish power.£1.price rise , so add 2% now.That,s their cheapest tarriff, Leeds

your new boiler will use 21kw heat input if not range rated. what was your old boiler set at ? do you know ? if not then how can you compare.do you never alter your trvs,never alter the roomstat/timer.what model spacesaver was it.?

if its a 418 then it could possibly be true.

ive had a few now where the dungs gas valve has been leaking when the boiler runs.

1 particular case the house owner has succesfully claimed all his gas bills back from vaillant,took a legal battle but he did it.

if its a 418 then it could possibly be true.

ive had a few now where the dungs gas valve has been leaking when the boiler runs.

1 particular case the house owner has succesfully claimed all his gas bills back from vaillant,took a legal battle but he did it.

That's interesting. Have had very high CO with normal CO2, especially on minimum fan speed, but no GV passing. Didnt trigger f.62 then?

Lcgs that sounds **** to me!!

As I'm not into filling people with info that's full of **** Pm me, I'll send you the address and the gs engineers name and job sheet having swapped the valve or you can happily give the customer a call.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back