French Wiring - Thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building house in France, wiring it up ourselves to French standards in order to get French sign-off for mains connection.

It is understood that the NORMES don't like the use of wiring like ours, i.e. several cores in outer sheath.

When the thermostats are connected (there are 6), the obvious way to do it in UK would be to use a 4-core cable Live, Neutral, Switched Live, Earth all contained in a tidy sheath. (The thermostats are chronostats and need power).

Question:
It's obvious that if the heating control wires are installed before the inspection the guy will have the vapours. But our cabling makes linking the thermostats to the control is pretty trivial, later on. Would it be a good idea to delay the heating wiring until the basic power/lighting circuits are signed off and the house is connected, then use "our" type of cable?

Sponsored Links
The main problem with UK cabling if used in other EU systems is that the earth is undersized and unsheathed in standard UK flat twin and earth.

While I'm not 100% sure about the french regulations, I have definitely seen multi-core cable used in France. The difference is that the earth is the size of the live and neutral conductors and it's always sheathed.

They usually prefer singles in plastic ducts in new installations in France.

Check locally for advice, a good DIY shop should be able to advise.

From Leroy Merlin's website: (Advice on cables and wires)

http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonecatalogue&idEIPub=1098686562

Don't know the mm2 of the cable you wish to use, but NFC 15-100 shows nothing smaller than 1,5 mm2.

Even if the earth isn't screened, you could overcome that by putting it in conduit.

Have you found any site that lets you compile the circuit layout and print it for the inspector? If so would be interested to know.

Sponsored Links
Back