Corrosion protection to steel below ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone provide any recommendations for an alternative corrosion protection to a steel beam placed below ground (other than traditional concrete surround).

I am installing a steel 'picture frame' to support an external load bearing wall and I would rather not have to concrete surround the bottom beam, which will run along the top of the remaining brickwork below FFL.

I will obviosly dry pack under the beam to ensure load transfer to the below brickwork, however is it acceptable to provide a paint system (primer + MIO + RIW LAC or similar??)

I would appreciate advice.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you want it encased in concrete?

Getting it hot dip galvanised seems like the best option to me.

Sponsored Links
I would use a zinch phosphate epoxy primer, an MIO epoxy barrier coat, and a 2-pack polyurethane top coat. The steel has to be perfect for the zinc phosphate to work properly, if it has sat outside for a few days it will need blast cleaning.

firwood paints are great and good people to deal with. Also Sigma make excellent paints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back