chain door closer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

I bought a chain door closer and have realised that because the door is a glass panel type the barrel of the closer is too long to fit. BUT, just had the thought of fitting it at the top or bottom of the door. Will it still work ie, close the door if fitted so far off the middle?

Crakkers

Sponsored Links
no.you will be drilling out the tennon so i would think in a very short space of time the door itself will probably fail.

Can't you fit an over head door closer, at least this can be adjusted to close slowly with a gentle latch.

Andy

I agree with Andy, an overhead door closer will control the close whereas the spring closer you've bought will just slam the door because there's no hydraulic dampening. You don't want to spoil a nice glazed door with a perpetual slamming!

Sponsored Links
I fitted New spring loaded door hinges bought from Screwfix. These can be adjusted very easily for tension. The only downside is that you have to fit one in every hinge position.
But they are fantastic. I have them also fitted to a fire door into my garage so they are man enough for very heavy doors.
They are a far cheaper solution than an overhead doot closer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back