No fan, pump working. How to test fan relay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For a Halstead Quattro Combi (LPG).

Overheat thermostat ok, circuit closed, Pump overrun thermostat working, closed circuit common to one, but not the other. Pump operating fine, a number of clicks suggesting microswitches ok.

Live power getting to Ignition board, but nothing getting to fan - 230V supply terminals dead to fan at fan end and on ignition board, even on fire-up, therefore no ignition without air flow getting to the pressure switch. I intend to test ignition soon, by providing the fan with its manual switched power supply.

Some suggest there's a flow switch on the pump to trigger the fan, but I cannot find this here (Grundfos 15-60 pump), so most likely it is the fan relay on the ignition board. How do I test this?

I want to be certain the fault is on the Ignition Board, rather than the Control Board.

There are four relays on this board (Honeywell 54561 D1001 upgraded to D1019 when replaced in 2007).

When firing up after replacing diverter valve, I inadvertantly pulled off the lead to the pump (kept control unit cover in place when water spilling about), got a humming sound and the ignition sparked. No gas then, since I turned that off until I was sure the system was purged of air. Switched off sharpish to find out what I'd done.

Could that have burned out a relay?

If so, can these be replaced individually or will I need an exchange board?

Sponsored Links
You are moving into the realms of what should be done by a pro. It is unlikely you will get safety critical advice on this forum.

Sponsored Links
You're having a laugh!

When is anyone likely to get a pro to turn out this side of Christmas (if I am very lucky and if this cold snap ends soon), especially one who will touch an LPG combi?

And I get charged call-out to be told I need a new boiler at two grand + I haven't got.

Like with all professional services in this country (lawyers, bankers, doctors, builders, car mechanics, plumbers... ... ...), if you cannot do it yourself, it simply won't get fixed. Most are only any good at sending out the bill. Once in a while you get a good'un, and they're booked up for weeks in advance.

Yuppie bonuses and yuppie prices have driven most honest tradesmen out of business!

What a load of nonsense you are talking!

That can only mean that you want to get free advice from this forum on gas matters! We dont give advise on gas work here for obvious reasons.

I, and thousands of other gas registered people, have been out mending boilers today. Mostly people who had called me today! I did not return until 2345 tonight!

I will be working until 1800hrs on Christmas Eve and if any genuine person called me on Christmas day then I would go and sort them out. The last time that I did that I just charged our standard weekday rates! But usually I charge two or three times usual rates.

Tony

You're having a laugh!

When is anyone likely to get a pro to turn out this side of Christmas?...

Apart from one day when I turned back after an hour or so due to ice (not snow) on the roads, all my clients were visited within 24 hours and only 1 had to wait longer than one day due to the need for various parts that were not on the shelf at the suppliers'.
Every good independent will do the same, apart from those few that have been isolated by weather conditions.

Your story of woe clearly demonstrates that your installation has not been maintained up to spec, otherwise the chap that services it every year would fix the problem for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back