DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Ikea sink problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
snadge

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote

were busy installing our new kitchen, the first time we realised we had problems was when we tried to get waste plumbing pipework to fit ours which is EU or sommit.. anyway managed to sort that with compression fittings but now weve just realise that the sink is given a set of standard (fit all sizes) trap out outlets - when you fit this to your sink the waste for washing machine and the pipework for it is right in the way of the taps pipework coming down from the taps... icon_evil.gif ...if we swap the stuff around it means having the bulky trap and waste pipe at the FRONT of the cupboard underneath rendering it useless - she plans to use for a small waste bin

can anyone offer up any 'helpfull' advice? (other than 'haha thats what you get for buying IKEA crap, or other similar remarks that people seem to like to give on this forum)

thanks
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Technotim

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote

This is a cracking idea, is a waterless trap http://www.tapstore.com/acatalog/Senzo-Space-Saving-Trap.html it has a silicone section that forms the seal, have used them myself and they work very well.

You can then connect your w/m using a spigot adaptor of some sorts.
 Alert Moderators
BingoBongo

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote

i fitted my friends mothers and remember a hideous plastic flexi that had to be cut to size.if its a sink and a half try q+b as they sell packs for their sinks and im pretty sure they will fit ikeas.they sell them in bags and are labeled with a letter to match the sink setup.cost about 10 you will still need a inch 1/2 wash mac trap though
 Alert Moderators
snadge

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm Reply with quote

sorry i forgot to mention its a double, well sink and half a sink which is not as deep as the main sink - you get a double adjustable pipe that both meet at the trap - where they meet is the outlet is the washer waste outlet, right were your tap pipes are gunna be...

looks like the ONLY way around it is to buy our own and bodge it up - thing is how do IKEA fit washing mahing waste pipes on to theres? or even fit the tap pipes without them getting in the way? (other than putting them on the other way around so trap etc is at front of cupboard)??

thanks for the ideas
 Alert Moderators
snadge

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote

BingoBongo wrote:
i fitted my friends mothers and remember a hideous plastic flexi that had to be cut to size.if its a sink and a half try q+b as they sell packs for their sinks and im pretty sure they will fit ikeas.they sell them in bags and are labeled with a letter to match the sink setup.cost about 10 you will still need a inch 1/2 wash mac trap though

did u have to buy your own for that job? how the hell do they fit (ikea ones)? you cant have taps on unless they are shortened and elbows shoved on (then sink itself gets in way) , really they can only go straight down - really bad design, badly thought through

thanks i will get some
 Alert Moderators
Technotim

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote

The following user says thank you to Technotim for this useful post:
snadge (9 Dec 2010)
 Alert Moderators
snadge

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote

Technotim wrote:
What about this one then http://shop.tapstore.com/wirquin-espace-connecting-tube-inc-extra-flat-bottle-trap.html

thanks...thats just the job, just cut that second pip down to fit and bobs yer uncle.... wonder if Q&B sell those so i can get it tomorrow

thanks again
 Alert Moderators
1john

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote

Best thing to do with the ikea crap that comes with the sink is to take the basket wastes out and dump the rest in the bin.
 Alert Moderators
iaith

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote

Hi. I've fitted a few ikea kitchens, and the traps are tricky but they do work. they are telescopic and can be moved about, also you can swap the overflow and w/m inlets around . the waste shouldn't interfere with the water supply pipes, but if they do you could always go for flexies on the supply.
good luck.
 Alert Moderators
snadge

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote

iaith wrote:
Hi. I've fitted a few ikea kitchens, and the traps are tricky but they do work. they are telescopic and can be moved about, also you can swap the overflow and w/m inlets around . the waste shouldn't interfere with the water supply pipes, but if they do you could always go for flexies on the supply.
good luck.

ive just had a go, the ONLY way it MIGHT work is to install it incorrectly AGAINST IKEA instructions - it says NOT to let the telescopic arm go beyond a certain point or it can leak - you have to extend it so that its just about hanging out (way beyond ikea limit) but then your waste pipe is almost hitting the wall so you would struggle to get the washer waste onto it as your wall would be in the way (20-30mm from wall to waste) - you would be lucky to get ti on - also, ive already punched the hole in the overflow (as you can choose either side) and to do it like that would mean plumbing it into the other one otherwise the overflow pipe is gunna be in the way...

terrible product, I will complain about that crap
 Alert Moderators
Master of None

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote

Managed to wrestle mine into this configuration. Fitted a stand pipe for the washer because I was not convinced that I was not getting dishwater in to washing machine (during installation I emptied sink without washing machine hose connected. Very messy)
 Alert Moderators
iaith

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote

I think master of none's got the right idea. this also eliminates the awful noise you get through the sinks when the w/m d/w pumps out waste water.

Crazy Ikeans.

And don't get me started on the lack of service gap on the units.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plumbing and Central Heating All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: