Ikea sink problem

S

snadge

were busy installing our new kitchen, the first time we realised we had problems was when we tried to get waste plumbing pipework to fit ours which is EU or sommit.. anyway managed to sort that with compression fittings but now weve just realise that the sink is given a set of standard (fit all sizes) trap out outlets - when you fit this to your sink the waste for washing machine and the pipework for it is right in the way of the taps pipework coming down from the taps... :evil: ...if we swap the stuff around it means having the bulky trap and waste pipe at the FRONT of the cupboard underneath rendering it useless - she plans to use for a small waste bin

can anyone offer up any 'helpfull' advice? (other than 'haha thats what you get for buying IKEA crap, or other similar remarks that people seem to like to give on this forum)

thanks

Sponsored Links
i fitted my friends mothers and remember a hideous plastic flexi that had to be cut to size.if its a sink and a half try q+b as they sell packs for their sinks and im pretty sure they will fit ikeas.they sell them in bags and are labeled with a letter to match the sink setup.cost about £10 you will still need a inch 1/2 wash mac trap though

sorry i forgot to mention its a double, well sink and half a sink which is not as deep as the main sink - you get a double adjustable pipe that both meet at the trap - where they meet is the outlet is the washer waste outlet, right were your tap pipes are gunna be...

looks like the ONLY way around it is to buy our own and bodge it up - thing is how do IKEA fit washing mahing waste pipes on to theres? or even fit the tap pipes without them getting in the way? (other than putting them on the other way around so trap etc is at front of cupboard)??

thanks for the ideas

Sponsored Links
i fitted my friends mothers and remember a hideous plastic flexi that had to be cut to size.if its a sink and a half try q+b as they sell packs for their sinks and im pretty sure they will fit ikeas.they sell them in bags and are labeled with a letter to match the sink setup.cost about £10 you will still need a inch 1/2 wash mac trap though

did u have to buy your own for that job? how the hell do they fit (ikea ones)? you cant have taps on unless they are shortened and elbows shoved on (then sink itself gets in way) , really they can only go straight down - really bad design, badly thought through

thanks i will get some

Best thing to do with the ikea crap that comes with the sink is to take the basket wastes out and dump the rest in the bin.

Hi. I've fitted a few ikea kitchens, and the traps are tricky but they do work. they are telescopic and can be moved about, also you can swap the overflow and w/m inlets around . the waste shouldn't interfere with the water supply pipes, but if they do you could always go for flexies on the supply.
good luck.

Hi. I've fitted a few ikea kitchens, and the traps are tricky but they do work. they are telescopic and can be moved about, also you can swap the overflow and w/m inlets around . the waste shouldn't interfere with the water supply pipes, but if they do you could always go for flexies on the supply.
good luck.

ive just had a go, the ONLY way it MIGHT work is to install it incorrectly AGAINST IKEA instructions - it says NOT to let the telescopic arm go beyond a certain point or it can leak - you have to extend it so that its just about hanging out (way beyond ikea limit) but then your waste pipe is almost hitting the wall so you would struggle to get the washer waste onto it as your wall would be in the way (20-30mm from wall to waste) - you would be lucky to get ti on - also, ive already punched the hole in the overflow (as you can choose either side) and to do it like that would mean plumbing it into the other one otherwise the overflow pipe is gunna be in the way...

terrible product, I will complain about that crap

Managed to wrestle mine into this configuration. Fitted a stand pipe for the washer because I was not convinced that I was not getting dishwater in to washing machine (during installation I emptied sink without washing machine hose connected. Very messy)

I think master of none's got the right idea. this also eliminates the awful noise you get through the sinks when the w/m d/w pumps out waste water.

Crazy Ikeans.

And don't get me started on the lack of service gap on the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back