garage supply and earthing !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a potential job coming up to add a some new circuits to an existing garage supply.

As far as i am lead to believe (have not seen job yet) the garage which is attached to the house is provided with a 6 mm t/e supply to a 63a rccd 4 way cu. Does the garage need a separate earth rod as the only earthing for the garage is from the 6 mm?

Secondly there are two spare way and the customer wants two internal lights and 4 external lights. i was thinking that these would go on a 6a mcb with the external lights being controlled by a fcu. The other spare mcb is for a radial with 5 double sockets. The problem i have is that the customer now wants a pond pump connected and the potential for electronic gates being connected in the future. Do pump and gates have to have there own designated circuits or could the gates and the pump come off the radial?

Sponsored Links
without the specs which i get monday i am not sure. I just wanted to know if this was common practice. If there is an overload potential then i would have to think of an alternative

Sponsored Links
Yes, but I am used to new installs. Just wondered what the best practice for gates and pond pumps. The gates do not drew a big load and would been fine coming off the sockets.

Most questions can be answered by looking in your onsite guide!

Do a loop test at the board to chack your earthing.

Make the sockets a ring.

Put lighting on existing circuits if posible.

Put pump and gates on separate circuits.

Up grde DB if neciserry.

Easy! ;)

The 6mm² T&E is likely to contain a 4mm² CPC.

I would be looking for something bigger!

Its probably worse then you think.

BS 6004 Table 8.

For two and three conductor cables:

* 1.5 sqmm cable has 1.0 sqmm CPC
* 2.5 sqmm cable has 1.5 sqmm CPC
* 4 sqmm cable has 1.5 sqmm CPC
* 6 sqmm cable has 2.5 sqmm CPC
* 10 sqmm cable has 4 sqmm CPC
* 16 sqmm cable has 6 sqmm CPC

Please note that these are nominal sizes.

[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back