Reduced hot and cold water flow rate - cold weather

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!

Today, since this morning I have noticed a significant reduction in flow rate from both hot and cold taps in all rooms with supply. Radiators remain very hot to touch, but when trying to top up combi boiler there is no pressure pushing cold water into boiler.

I have had a look at all internal pipes that I can access and there does not appear to be a leak.

Advice needed in preparation for sleepless night ahead!

Thanks

Haji

Sponsored Links
Why are you having sleepless nights over this?

Your CH system is a sealed system so the flow rate to your taps will have no effect on this.

Maybe you have a blockage somewhere, maybe your pipe has frozen somewhere.

Has the pressure in your CH system gone down significantly for you to want to top it up?

Are you on mains pressure for both hot and cold?

Are your neighbours suffering the same problem or is it just you?

Has any work been done on the mains in the road recently?

If you're on mains-pressure hot and cold (combi boiler or unvented cylinder) and both have dropped pressure but remain equal, and your neighbours are NOT affected, I'd say there's most likely a burst underground on the supply pipe to your house

No pressure has been lost on the combi.

I tried topping up to check the pressure of the mains cold throughout the house and there is not very much anywhere from having quite a high pressure 2 days ago.

Not sure if I am on mains for both hot and cold, not sure about that one!

What is the process for finding an underground burst/blockage/freeze. acoustic testing?

thanks for the help

Haji

Sponsored Links
Even with modern technology, it's difficult to beat a listening stick and a good ear.

You can extemporise a stick with something like a long screwdriver. One end against the pipe or fitting, and the other against your ear. Water pipes are generally quiet unless water is flowing. The louder the noise and the higher the pitch, the nearer to a leak.

If you have a water meter check it isn't still turning when you are not using any water. If your pipes are noisy, shut your external top tap. If the noise stops, there is a leak on your side of the stop tap.

No pressure has been lost on the combi.

I tried topping up to check the pressure of the mains cold throughout the house and there is not very much anywhere from having quite a high pressure 2 days ago.

Not sure if I am on mains for both hot and cold, not sure about that one!

What is the process for finding an underground burst/blockage/freeze. acoustic testing?

thanks for the help

Haji

You won't lose pressure on the combi according to the pressure gauge, as this is a measure of the pressure in your heating system and bears no relation whatsoever to the pressure in your hot and cold water pipework.

As you have a combi, you are on mains pressure for both hot and cold. If both have lost pressure out of the taps then I'd say it's certainly a burst somewhere.

Have you asked your neighbours if they have the same problem? A little communication will go a long way here - it could be a burst in the mains in the road, in which case your neighbours will also be experiencing problems. If they aren't then it's a burst or blockage in your supply pipe. Follow TickyT's advice on that one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back