Worcester 440 Vs 42 CDI + Central heating pipework mods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

as most of you on here have ample experience of plumbing/servicing boilers, I want to know what are your opinions on the 2 boilers above? I was going to go valliant, but couldnt find a decent online supplier that did above 30Kw hot water in LPG. I have tried my damndest to get my current CH boiler to work as designed (shagged, 20 year old worc. 280 RSF), I think its time to admit defeat. I have looked online and can get a reasonable price for either, but from a maintainance/reliability POV, what do you reccommend? Or is it much of a muchness? I read that unless you are in an area classed as "very hard" or have a hardness of >200, you dont have to be too worried about scale on the DHW side these days?

If I went for the 440, what is the minimum height above ground for the plume management kit? could it be installed say horizontally from behind the boiler or does it have to be above head height?

I am currently considering replacing the 8mm microbore sh*te with either 10mm, or going the whole hog and plumbing in 15mm (Yeah baby) to supply sufficient flow for the rads in the house. They seem to take 30 mins to get warm at the mo on 8mm and I cringed the first time I saw we had 8mm microbore.

The installed loop is 22mm so should have ample capacity? I reckon average flow will need to be 11Kw, with initial "warm up" of 25kw. Its a pretty big house, 3 bedroom main house and 2 bed annexe (seperate boiler).

In preparation of the new boiler, I am looking to remove the old one, rip out the microbore connections and tap into the CH loop, remove the old 8mm reduction joints and plumb in 15mm pipe. Rather than rip up the old flooring, I intend to pull out as much of the 8mm from the wall/Rads and plaster over, after draining and disconnecting the supply from the loop.

I am going to put in one of those magnaclean/fernox jobbers to clean the system and currently have fernox X400 going round the system, planning to remove in a month's time. Any other ideas to ensure my boiler lasts 2 decades?

Anyone in the gloucestershire/3 counties area fancy installing the above boiler, we are looking to get this installed sometime in May/June next year.

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Sorry, before I get eaten alive, repairs to the old boiler were purely on the water side and NOT involving gas connections (replaced pressure relief valve and the pressure vessel, descaled the DHW exchanger)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back