bathroom light switch cord replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom light switch cord needs replacing nearly 30 years old, the same cord controls both a fan and a light. have taken the old unit off and noticed the following a red sheat wire was connected to "A2" on my old switch and a black wire to "COM", going to buy a new cord switch can i expect to see the same A2 and COM?? Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Doesn't matter which way round.

sorry again the new switch says "1way" "2 way" and "com" so should i put the red into "2 way" previously A2 and black into "com" as before, also there is no earth wire.

Doesn't matter which way round.

sorry again the new switch says "1way" "2 way" and "com" so should i put the red into "2 way" previously A2 and black into "com" as before, also there is no earth wire.

Yes Black in COM and red into either 1way or 2way.

There should be an earth. but as you say it is 30 years old there may not have been one fitted when the house was wired.

thanks guys all working now, who would have thought electricity could make you so nervous, in respect of the earth wire is it important to have i know it's there for safety but what exactly does it do, is there anything i can do other than get house rewired to protect myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back