Flashing around terraced chimney - who's responsible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Been reading round here for a while but here is my first post.

I moved into a house two years ago. Had been reroofed etc before I bought it. The neighbours roof is in bad shape. He called round today and told my partner that his roofer was replacing some tiles and noticed that there is no lead flashing on our chimney on the side that meets his roof tiles. The side of the chimney in question is essentially a continuation of the party wall shared by the houses.

I'm all up for a friendly resolution but he has made it clear that he thinks it's my responsibility. If so I'm happy to sort it but I'd like to know first if this is the case. He doesn't live there but owns the house and rents it out. We have no real friendship as such!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Darren.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Been reading round here for a while but here is my first post.

I moved into a house two years ago. Had been reroofed etc before I bought it. The neighbours roof is in bad shape. He called round today and told my partner that his roofer was replacing some tiles and noticed that there is no lead flashing on our chimney on the side that meets his roof tiles. The side of the chimney in question is essentially a continuation of the party wall shared by the houses.

I'm all up for a friendly resolution but he has made it clear that he thinks it's my responsibility. If so I'm happy to sort it but I'd like to know first if this is the case. He doesn't live there but owns the house and rents it out. We have no real friendship as such!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Darren.

If, as you say that it is a terraced house then surely the chimney stack is built both sides of of the boundary line. Which would mean that the front apron and back apron would be extended across the boundary line, with the side flashings being on either side of the property. In which case each partner is responsible for maintainance on their side of the boundary line.

spraggo

Cheers spraggo,

I've looked in the attic and the chimney does stretch across both sides of the boundary line. I'm thinking that it must be down to him to sort.

Also, he tells me that he is planning on reroofing but wants me to fix the flashing anyway. Surely then the flasing on his side would have to come up to put the new tiles below. Will he then ask me to sort it again? Sounds dodgy. His side, his roof and his tiles - his problem???

D.

Cheers spraggo,

I've looked in the attic and the chimney does stretch across both sides of the boundary line. I'm thinking that it must be down to him to sort.

Also, he tells me that he is planning on reroofing but wants me to fix the flashing anyway. Surely then the flasing on his side would have to come up to put the new tiles below. Will he then ask me to sort it again? Sounds dodgy. His side, his roof and his tiles - his problem???

D.

Correct it his on his property and entirely his problem.

Happy xmas

spraggo

Sponsored Links
It's easy to make several assumptions and to have suspicions here. A little clinical analysis of the situation might clarify things:

1. When your roof was re-newed any decent roofer would have ensured that the flashing to your part of the chimney was in good condition. Is it possible to make contact with that roofer to verify that?

2. The neighbour's roofer might be a ***** and looking for a bit extra on the side. He may have asked your neighbour to put the suggestion to you.

3. Your neighbour might be looking for a contribution, how ever small, towards the new flashing around the chimney, that may or may not be needed. There is always the danger, if your neighbour is so inclined, for him to ask his roofer to 'not make such a good job around your side of the chimney'. No good roofer would take such instruction and there may not be any need to touch the flashing around your part of the chimney.

To avoid secenario 2 or 3, I would make direct contact with the roofer, who is doing the work on your neighbour's roof and if possible have a look myself to verify the situation.

I don't know the answer to this, I would suggest you consult the Building Regs and Planning Permission Forum, does the work require a Party Wall Agreement. If so, it could give you some much needed protection.

Just the mention of it to your neighbour will demonstrate that you know what you're doing.

If it is required. he is obliged to have it in place before work commences.

It's easy to make several assumptions and to have suspicions here. A little clinical analysis of the situation might clarify things:

1. When your roof was re-newed any decent roofer would have ensured that the flashing to your part of the chimney was in good condition. Is it possible to make contact with that roofer to verify that?

2. The neighbour's roofer might be a ***** and looking for a bit extra on the side. He may have asked your neighbour to put the suggestion to you.

3. Your neighbour might be looking for a contribution, how ever small, towards the new flashing around the chimney, that may or may not be needed. There is always the danger, if your neighbour is so inclined, for him to ask his roofer to 'not make such a good job around your side of the chimney'. No good roofer would take such instruction and there may not be any need to touch the flashing around your part of the chimney.

To avoid secenario 2 or 3, I would make direct contact with the roofer, who is doing the work on your neighbour's roof and if possible have a look myself to verify the situation.

I don't know the answer to this, I would suggest you consult the Building Regs and Planning Permission Forum, does the work require a Party Wall Agreement. If so, it could give you some much needed protection.

Just the mention of it to your neighbour will demonstrate that you know what you're doing.

If it is required. he is obliged to have it in place before work commences.

The flashing on the three sides of the chimney that are against my tiles is in a1 condition. His side is without flashing. He is saying that because it is my chimney that it's my fix. I think he is bluffing. I also spoke to a building surveyor who is a friend and she has stated that it is his responsibility to flash his side, no question.

I'll have to break the bad news to him asap.

Thanks for the replies folks.

Darren.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back