Is adding a socket in cellar under a kitchen notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wish to add a double socket in a cellar room under kitchen. There is an existing power cable passing through the cellar which is a radial supplying just two sockets in the kitchen above. I was told that by an NICEIC registered guy who installed a dual RCD distribution board last year. It's also such a simple circuit that it's plain to see.
I was considering breaking into this cable in the cellar to provide a new double socket down there.
At no point will any work be carried out in the kitchen.
I know this is on the cusp of being notifiable, but this would seem to be:

"Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation"

Am I right in assuming this is not notifiable?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
One thing to consider :-

Is the cellar damp or at any risk of being flooded.

I see sockets in cellars possibly needing with the same care as sockets external to the house.

Is the cellar damp or at any risk of being flooded.

No history of flooding in this area. It's no more damp than one would expect of a Victorian cellar.
I should've said there is already lighting in every room and a double socket in another cellar room.
It would be easier to break into the cable I described, to provide the new double socket.

I see sockets in cellars possibly needing with the same care as sockets external to the house.

You'd use an IP54 socket then?
The double socket in the other cellar room is just standard.

Is this work notifiable though?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You'd use an IP54 socket then?

Yes I would.

I have seen a plastic surface mounted socket on a "dry" wall in a cellar where the fixing screws had penetrated the water proof membrane between plaster board and brickwork and water had affected the socket and the plaster board.

Not notifiable. If you use junction boxes just make sure they are accessible.

It would also be pretty easy for me to poke the new cable up into the kitchen and spur directly from a double socket up there.
However, that would make the work notifiable?
To comply I have to cut the cable in the cellar and use a junction box (very accessible) to provide my spur.
Seems that by avoiding this work being notifiable that I am actually causing more disruption.
Spurring off the socket from within the kitchen would actually minimise risk? Which I assume is what the regs were designed for?
Thanks.

I have seen a plastic surface mounted socket on a "dry" wall in a cellar where the fixing screws had penetrated the water proof membrane between plaster board and brickwork and water had affected the socket and the plaster board.

I wouldn't be irresponsible enough to put the socket on an external wall :)
The existing double socket is on a 'dry' internal wall. I'd be placing the new socket on the driest internal wall in the driest part of the cellar.

I'm actually planning on running CAT6 network cable around the house and want to put the network equipment down in the cellar. Hence the need for a nearby socket.
If it was bad enough down there to require an IP54 socket, then I'm not sure how long the network switch would last.

That dual RCD CU is mounted on plywood stepped off on an external cellar wall, so I guess that will have problems before the network switch :(

Not notifiable. If you use junction boxes just make sure they are accessible.

It would also be pretty easy for me to poke the new cable up into the kitchen and spur directly from a double socket up there.
However, that would make the work notifiable?.

Yes it would as you are doing electrical works "in the special location".
Break into the ring in the cellar using a JB. Perfectly acceptable way to do it and no notification required.

Why use a JB?

Why not just put the socket in line with the cable - in then out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back