base coat is solvent, adhesion of water based matt question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, grabbed a can of B&Q trade undercoat to whiten the walls prior to coloured water based matt (B&Q mixed 'durable matt').

undercoat went up fine, left it 24 hours, gave it a light sand to get some brush strokes out and started cutting in all my door frames, near the end of it, I noticed some areas are showing signs of non-adhesion. Paint seemed to pulling back from some spots, showing little white dots of clean undercoat.

This is only happening on a few small areas.

Checked the undercoat tin out, and it's a solvent based one >.<.

As mentioned, this lack of adhesion is only evident in a few places, and a second coat covers it up.

Essential question: Can I get away with matt paint over solvent undercoat, or is it so likely to peel that I should clean off the paint I've already put up and find an alternative undercoat?

Cheers,
Sam.

Sponsored Links
It would be fine to apply your emulsion over the u/c providing your satisfied that the u/c is stable.

Either the surface under the u/c was unstable, or the paint was inferior. I dislike Wickes paint even though it's got their name on it.

Dec.

Did'nt quite get that one right, anyway I dont like B&Q paints either ;)

Dec.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back