Ripdown ceiling and reboard, tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a leak which has damaged our kitchen ceiling.

The ceiling has previously suffered water damage (originally thought to be from the bathroom above) and was patched. Because it was artexed we just had the whole thing skimmed over.

This new water damage does not appear to be from the bathroom above. The bathroom has been completely redecorated, wall & floor tiled, new bath and sealant.
I've had a good look under the bath and there is no sign of water at all. Newspaper had been placed under the bath when it was fitted to allow me to check if water had escaped and dried and it's dry with no water stains.

This is good & bad news as I don't need to pull out recently fitted bathroom fittings but may mean that the water is coming from the external wall or from the thermal store (or associated pipe-work) and then running along the joist to show through the kitchen ceiling.

To determine the source of the water the kitchen ceiling will need to come down. I've not done anything like this before and so have a few questions.

I'm undecided on whether to claim on the insurance until I see the extent of the water damage (£250 excess) in the ceiling space but the ceiling will definitely have to be replaced.

I would not want to overboard as this is a new build and the room height is short enough already!

• Is it possible to only replace the board that is damaged? I'm doubtful because it would need to be level with the existing boards which have been artexed and then skimmed but thought I'd get a professional opinion on this.
  • How would ripping down the ceiling impact on the walls? I'm assuming they are joined using tape - could the replacement ceiling boards be joined to the walls? If they couldn't, what are the consequences?
  • Are there any pitfalls when pulling down the existing ceiling? I'm assuming it's as simple as just trying to find the screw and pulling it down?
  • How difficult is reboarding a ceiling? I've dot-and-dabbed boards on my bathroom walls but not done ceilings before.
  • Trying to determine how much I can do myself as if it turns out the leak is from the thermal store then the insurer won't pay to replace it so no point claiming for the ceiling as the cost of paying to skim new boards will be pennies next to replacing the thermal store.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Ceiling is 4.1 x 2.9 metres

Sponsored Links
New build so assuming either 15mm or 12.5 boards ?

Is it possible to only replace the board that is damaged? I'm doubtful because it would need to be level with the existing boards which have been artexed and then skimmed but thought I'd get a professional opinion on this. Yes - cut back to nearest joists, screw up . Bondit or similar over the lot and Bonding over whole ceiling and skim.

How would ripping down the ceiling impact on the walls? I'm assuming they are joined using tape - could the replacement ceiling boards be joined to the walls? Cut them and remove carefully, then fibatape onto the walls and cover tape on walls as per taping and jointing

If they couldn't, what are the consequences? You'll have some making good around teh ceiling line. If no tape/scrim you will get a crack around the ceiling line (only where new boards are meeting existing wall) which you can fill with decorators caulk. I'd rather the former option

Are there any pitfalls when pulling down the existing ceiling? Mess and effort plus needing to deal with cracking as above vs 9.5mm board with 2-3mm skim if overboarding OR reboard patch and only deal with crack where new bopards meet wall

I'm assuming it's as simple as just trying to find the screw and pulling it down? Claw hammer, and remove any screws. Be tidy on ceiling lines. Dust mask .

How difficult is reboarding a ceiling? I've dot-and-dabbed boards on my bathroom walls but not done ceilings before. Get a mate to help lifting, rest is just measuring.

Trying to determine how much I can do myself as if it turns out the leak is from the thermal store then the insurer won't pay to replace it so no point claiming for the ceiling as the cost of paying to skim new boards will be pennies next to replacing the thermal store Get quotes and advice from local spreads.

On the face of it, I'd take down affected area, reboard that.

Bond-it/WBA to existing .

Bond coat over the lot ,

Scrim boards to walls where needed

Skim ceiling

Easi- fil/joint to scrim on wallsl

Just took a picture of the hole I've made to find the source of the leak in case it helps with tips on how to repair the hole.

The leak is from a pipe join which hasn't been clipped to the joists so likely was disturbed from above during the bathroom refit.

I'll get a plumber to sort the leak and then leave the hole open till spring to help the joists dry out.

Looking at the position of the joists I'm thinking it should be possible to screw in a piece of 9mm plasterboard and get a spread in to skim it and blend it with the surround before i finish it with eggshell

Any half decent Prop Maint Man will do the lot for less than a ton.

Sponsored Links
Sorry - misread post to read ceiling was artex finish.

You'll be fine patching and making good joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back