wiring security lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently moved and want to put up a security pir light on my garage.
Before I have always just put a electrical wire on it and plugged it into a spare socket in my garage.Looking at the intructions in focus I see it says dont wire it into a plug and put it into the ring main socket.
Is this a new regulation as I have never had a problem before whats the worse that could happen?
Is there a limit on what size wattage bulb I can have if I just stick a plug on it please?
Oh theres a circuit breaker thing on the garage supply and on the house too which works as I found out when I took a socket off in the garage forgot to turn off the mains and it tripped when the wires touched give me a bit of a shock too :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Run acable from the garage unit light c/b to a switch and then to the security light. The switch will give you option to over ride the pir on the unit.
Please be aware that this will be notifiable.

I have a cable that has been removed from a socket that had to be moved to make way for a garage door.It works I have just taped it up at moment can I use this and wire it into the new pir security light it has the black red and earth ends on it

Sponsored Links
Looking at the intructions in focus I see it says dont wire it into a plug and put it into the ring main socket.
Does it really say exactly that, or have you not read/understood it properly?

1. Is there a limit on what size wattage bulb I can have if I just stick a plug on it please?
  2. I took a socket off in the garage forgot to turn off the mains and it tripped when the wires touched give me a bit of a shock too :LOL:
  3. I have a cable that has been removed from a socket that had to be moved to make way for a garage door.It works I have just taped it up at moment

1 = you don't know some pretty basic things

2 = you don't pay attention and/or don't know how to be safe

3 = you are actually quite dangerous

Please get an electrician before someone gets injured or killed.

Unless you apply to council for permission max size is 150W it is one of the part building regulations.

I think the reason for not simply plugging in is any intruder can simple unplug. However the same applies to removing fuse or smashing lamp so really no point in not using a plug.

In theory if attached then does not matter if hard wired or plugged in you need to register the work under Part P. So for example if you wish to use an extension lead in your kitchen and you want to used some cable clips to tidy up the cable you need to pay the council £100+ before clipping the cable.

Do think that's daft and because some bits are so daft it is hard to draw the real line between registering and not registering. However if the light is required by insurance then no real option. Just not worth doing DIY.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back