Corrosion inhibitor coming out of hot water taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new here so please be gentle!

We had a dad of a mate around the other day (Friday) to check out our boiler system, he used to be a plumber.

He put corrosion inhibitor into the tank in the loft, but now its coming out of the hot water taps.

We have blue water that stinks of anti freeze every time we turn on a hot water tap, can anyone suggest what this might be please?

Our system is a Baxi Solo 3 PFL 50.

Sponsored Links
You either have a hole in your cylinder primary coil or he's put inhibitor in the wrong tank.

Could be a few reasons
1-you have a primatic cylinder were u cant put inhibitor in
2-combi-plate heatx has gone
3-stdard cylinder-with primary coil problem/split
4-Hes put it into your Domestic tank and not the F & E!

He has put it in the wrong tank, there is one domestic tank and one heating tank, the heating tank is usually smaller. You will have to drain your hot water cylinder and pipe work and fill it again (id do this several times) to flush the inhibitor out

Sponsored Links
[Edit: Oops - looks like we were all typing at the same time!]

Looks like he stuck it into the wrong tank - the cold water header tank instead of the central heating feed and expansion tank. I guess that's why he used to be a plumber! ;)

Where you go from here I don't know - I don't know how you'd get it out other than leaving the tap running and hoping it all eventually clears...

Mathew

blimey, thanks for all your speedy replies!

the tank he's put it in has lagged copper pipes going in and out of it, looks like its made out of the same plastic as a dustbin with an insulated lid and is quite large, it has a ball float in it so im guessing this is the central heating tank?

so is it likely if i have a central heating fault its been there all along and weve only just noticed because theres inhibitor in the system now?

also i think the hot water cylinder is upstairs in the airing cupboard? it looks like a mini immersion heater, with a brass cylinder on top of it?

the tank he's put it in has lagged copper pipes going in and out of it, looks like its made out of the same plastic as a dustbin with an insulated lid and is quite large, it has a ball float in it so im guessing this is the central heating

Hi.

Has this tank got 2 pipes coming out from bottom side of tank? 22mm?

Dan

The cold water storage has pipes going in and out :eek: as well, :oops:

listen to the rest,he,s cocked up and put it in the wrong tank,plenty of flushing out is the way to go

I've been to a property in the past that had only one loft tank, which fed both domestic hot water and central heating!! He wondered why his hot water sometimes looked 'grey' !!

Yes but the op has yet to say there,s only one tank in the loft,probably bailing out in the loft :!:

im gonna get up in the loft and have a butchers.

i realise a cold tank would have two pipes in and out, but didnt think they would be lagged?

Normally a large cold water tank has 5 pipes in and out as list below:

1. main cold water pipe ( this pipe connect to ball valve )
2. Cold feed to cylinder ( at bottom side of tank )
3. Cold feed to bathroom ( at bottom side of tank )
4. Vent pipe ( up and over the tank wall )
5. Overflow pipe ( top side of tank )

A small heating tank has 4 pipes :

1. main cold water pipe to ballvalve
2. cold feed to heating system ( bottom side of tank )
3. vent pipe ( up and over tank wall )
4. overflow pipe

But not all are the same everywhere.

And all always lagged, sometime some don't.

Dan.

good job im a mechanic and not a plumber then. :oops:

there is definitely only one tank in the loft, ive taken picture just trying to work out how to put them up now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back