Shower Pump not pumping hot water

Hi All. Rather than create a new thread I felt best to reopen an old one that is pretty much exactly the same as an issue I have now.

I have a Salamander Dual Pump in the loft that is fed from a cold water tank above it. The hot water is fed from a tank in the airing cupboard that has a flange (Surrey?) out of the top of it.

The pump was replaced by myself about a year ago and was an exact replacement for the old one (4 quick fit fixings and done). I am now on the belief that there was nothing wrong with the old pump at all, as we are now seeing the same problems.

Most of the time we are now suffering with intermittent hot water through the shower. Cold will run at full pressure, but when we turn the mixed tap up it begins to splitter and the pump cuts in and out.

After I took the pump apart a few days ago the shower worked fine, but 2 days later we have the same problem.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

From what I have read I think its the shower unit that is causing you the issue. Assuming its a mixer shower it will have none return valve inside it feed pipes. what I think is happening is as you operate the shower cold first or hot the water which is coming out of the shower closes the non return valve on the opposite side, hence it doesn't work. Remove said one way valves and job done. However you may need to get new one way valves on the pump feed side just to stop the pump from over running.

hope this helps.

The no return check valves are only a £5 each and easy to install. the shower mod may be a little harder depending on type.

hope this helps

Not sure if anyone will read this old thread but I found it when experiencing the same problem, and wanted to share my solution.

I'm pretty sure it was trapped air causing the hot water supply to not flow. The solution was to switch off the pump, place the shower head as low down as possible on the floor of the shower, and then run the shower for a few minutes. During this time lots of air gurgling and spitting could be heard, and the water then got hotter. When the pump was switched back on it was able to pump the hot water as is should.

I think this method works because putting the shower head lower makes it act as a siphon, pulling the water and air through the system. Hope this can help someone with the same problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back