glow worm 30sxi leaking - need help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I had this fitted brand new 1 year ago and all seemed fine until 1 month ago (cold snap started) when it started leaking from bottom of boiler it only seems to leak water in morning when heating fires up.

Anyway few days ago the rads did not come on i checked boiler and pressure was 0.6 so i called glow worm out as still under warranty, mean while i got plumber round to get it back on as GW engineer could not get out for 3 days. Plumber cam and got pressure back on and all seemd fine.

GW engineer came today and said this is a installation issue and my warranty was not valid and instead of offering me any solution he walked out after disconnecteing my gas leaving me with no hot water or heating. I am really pi**ed off at the way they dealt with this so want to get something verified before i react. Engineer said the leak is due to my boiler not being sealed and the reason it is not sealed is the fleu has no turret sealing it. He said the water has ran right down from fleu to bottom on the inside of the boiler ruining most internal parts so this is going to cost a fortune.

Does this sound right? i tried taking a few images to point out the issues, you can see where th drip comes out of bottom right hand side and the top where the fleu sits is all rusted.

would really appreciate if anyone could tell me straight if this is a installation problem or a fault with boiler.

Many thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
There is a turret that must be fitted to these when they're converted to vertical flue. Picture shows water ingress which doesn't appear to be from the boiler.

Why no turret? Metal flue connected straight to boiler surely is incorrect.The turret would have all the correct seals etc.If you have a copy of installation instructions,all the relevant info will be in there.Having said all that, a leak on the flue wouldnot cause system pressure to drop.You have seperate issues there.

Sponsored Links
glowworm eng is right i'm afraid

very poor installation, there should be a turret on the boiler with a correct seal and a flue sample point, this looks very dangerous!!

Thats clearly dangerous. The flue seems to be connected directly to the flue adaptor and the there is a gaping hole straight into your boiler ! Shocking !!
You should phone Gas Safe Register and request an inspection. The person who installed this wants stringing up.
You can have no argument with Glowworm, the installation of the flue is disgusting and has obviously caused the water damage.
You havent mentioned the installer? where is he?

I find that it is difficult to imagine that the installer was gas registered.

Do you even know who he is? His full name and address?

You can start by asking Gas Safe to come and inspect it and give you a report.

It will be so damming that you can then ask the installer to put it right which will probably involve a new boiler.

I assume he has completed the Benchmark and included his Gas Safe number???

Tony

This is much appreciated espeacially the speed in replies. Now it has been confirmed that this is a installation fault the installer has been called and will be round today to answer some serious questions.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back