swap a pullcord light switch for a wall switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our separate toilet room, we have a pullcord light switch but it keeps getting caught in the door and smashing against the wall tiles. I will be redecorating the room and since there is no bath, shower or sink in this room, I have been informed it is ok with the regs to install a wall mounted light switch.

How would I go about replacing the existing switch? obviously the cabling will need to be extended down the wall. Should I route the existing cable back to their junction boxes and then just put longer cables in, or can I simply add more junctions or spurs or whatever you call them? I can access the cables in the loft above the toilet room.

this might sway your input, but later I intend to add a sensor extractor fan so iw ill need to connect that up in the loft somewhere too.

all advice welcome.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing wrong with joining cables with the correct junction box but if you can access to route a complete new length then that is always the best way forward.

You should be able to connect your fan to the existing junction box, if you use junction boxes you should make sure they are accesible if they contain screw terminals, if you go for a "maintenance free" box like the Ashley 17th edition JB then you can cover them over if you wish but access to junctions is advisable in case you need to access it for a further addition.

thanks. Those junction boxes are what I had in mind.
I haven't been up and had a look yet (I like to gather some knowledge before I take on any work) but will there just be one cable that runs to the switch or will there be multiple? if the latter will I need a junction box for each? It's a single gang switch.

Thanks for your quick reply this is most helpful.

oh, will I be able to add the extractor fan to that junction box or will that just cause it to be on when the light is on? Its all in the loft near the shallow end so they can stay uncovered.

Sponsored Links
I like to gather some knowledge before I take on any work
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

but will there just be one cable that runs to the switch or will there be multiple? if the latter will I need a junction box for each? It's a single gang switch.
If it's a 1-way switch controlling 1 light it'll have 1 cable, or 2 if the lighting loop runs through the switches.

Either way a single 4-terminal lighting JB will do.

oh, will I be able to add the extractor fan to that junction box or will that just cause it to be on when the light is on? Its all in the loft near the shallow end so they can stay uncovered.
If you're talking about a junction box used to extend the switch cable then you won't be able to add a fan from that as there won't be a neutral there unless the circuit loops through the switch, but in that case there won't be a permanent live there.

hi all, happy holidays!

I've had a look at the wiring and there appears to be 3 cables that go to the back of the light fitting and 1 cable to the pullcord switch.. i reckon I can simply remove the single switch cable from the light fitting and replace it with a longer length.

quick question....

i'm just installing the back plate/box for the light switch. we may have the extractor fan run when the light comes on. should I install an extra cables to this switch in case we decide to do this or can this be connected in the loft later?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back