L9 fault code, ideal isar HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called out to boiler fault, nothing working when arrived, client advised diaplay panel had not been working for several months. I changed display to get faults codes but nothing happened, so i then changed pcb as well. All seemed ok when i left, client then called to say 'L9' appeared and manual referred to possible blockage in heat exchanger.

I then returned to check all posibilities that the manual mentioned and all seemed fine except for the blocked heat exchanger. The thermistors were checked and all ok and the diverter valve was checked for debris and function and all ok. I then tried changing the plate heat exchanger but still getting 'L9', I'm thinking of going back tomorrow to powerflush the boiler, there was a little brown debris in the plate connections within the boiler but nothing too much. AM I DOING THE RIGHT THING, ITS DRIVING ME MAD? I have also spoke with ideal several times who don't seem to be much help.

Any help will be much appreiciated. Nick. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I tend to stay away from Ideals that are newer than the classic, so can't help you much there.
But I do have some very good advice for you. If you are a RGI, get access to the Combustion Chamber on this forum.

how sure can you be about the pump, this was checked and seemed to be spinning strongly? The boiler will run for several minutes and start to heat the rads and then cuts out to L9 (pressure gauge also fluctuates eractically up and down).

Its driving me crazy!!

Sponsored Links
Make sure you take the boiler serial number as there are 2 pumps for these.

pump or blocked main heat exchanger, or all the radiators are closed.

it will be the pump tho.

change 1 a day for exactly the same problem

Definitely pump! L9 normally due to pump sticking or seized causing it to overheat.

Had it several times before so my first port of call is the pump

I have also spoke with ideal several times who don't seem to be much help.
nothing ever changes does it!! why numpties keep installing their crap is beyond me!

L9 is a low overheat, H9 is the high overheat with either i would suspect a blockage or lack of water flow
if this was a heat only boiler Icos or Evo and over 60,000btu then it would need 28mm pipework for at least a metre on flow and return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back