Is there a viable alternative to gas central central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I own a flat with communal heating which is an absolute nightmare. I think I must be at the end of the loop because if anyone else in the building tinkers with their lock shields or opens up their valves fully, I get less heat. Right now, I've measured the average room temperature at around 13 degrees when the heating is on 'full'. But with the cold weather due tomorrow, that will drop even further.

The agent who runs the building says I can't have my own gas supply as it would cost too much to have all the pipe work installed. I'm completely fed up with the situation.

Can anyone recommend an alternative way of heating up the property other than oil and convection heaters which are very expensive to run? Are electrical boilers any good these days?

Sponsored Links
In a communal system the valves should be tamper proof and once the balance is obtained no one should be able to alter it.

Unfortunately, the lock shields are not tamper proof and they are impossible to monitor. The agent who runs the building refuses to call in a plumber to find a solution leaving my flat in freezing temperatures.

I have to top up the temperature with oil heaters which are very expensive to run. Would it be worth while having an electric boiler fitted? Can anyone recommend a reliable and cost effective brand?

I assume, you and the other occupiers, pay a fixed amount each month for the communal heating? Obviously, your not getting the full benefit from the heating system and may have cause for some legal redress.
Might be an idea to seek legal advice on this.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, the lock shields are not tamper proof and they are impossible to monitor. The agent who runs the building refuses to call in a plumber to find a solution leaving my flat in freezing temperatures.

In effect he refuses to do his job and as a result your flat is uninhabitable. If the rent/maintenance charge includes heating and heating isn't delivered, rent is not payable.

I'd suggest you fire the problem back to the agent. Request they provide electric convector heaters with a thermostat and with a a metered supply, the cost of the electricity to be deducted from your rent payments; this arrangement is to remain in place until they provide heating. If they don't you can get a meter from BES.ltd.uk and charge them. You need to minimize their losses, but it is not your problem that the electric heat is more expensive than the CH that you pay for, but they don't provide. No heat= no rent; simple.

It is, most likely, a balancing problem, as has been said; there should be preset regulating valves in the riser, inaccessible to the tenants. There is no point in speculating, it could be other things. Possibly they've 'saved' money by neglecting maintenance and the boiler room is a tip. Balancing the system (if that is the fault) would save fuel.

Do communal boilers need landlord's certificates for annual servicing? A Gassafe chap will advise shortly.

As a leaseholder, I have a lease agreement as do all the other owners. It clearly states that each property is entitled to enjoy the the gas central heating. The agent who is also a leaseholder but who lives elsewhere says the temperature is fine but my thermostat as well as my my body says otherwise.

Each of the leaseholders pays a set amount towards the heating. I will definitely refuse to pay mine until this problem is resolved. In the meantime, I will look into deducting the cost of electric from my service charges.

I don't want to get into a legal battle because of the amount of time it can take up and the stress it might cause me. That's why I was wondering if I could simply resolve this problem by having an electric boiler installed instead.

tell them in advance off what you intend to do you must give it to them in writing and say 2 weeks to fix the problem

That's why I was wondering if I could simply resolve this problem by having an electric boiler installed instead.

You can, but they're just electric resistance heaters and so the energy cost per kWhr is the same as a plug-in electric heater. If you must have electric heaters, I'd go with plug-in jobs.

If the agent claims that adequate heat is supplied, I'd look into getting a data logger, which can download the room temperatures into a PC.

If the agent has a property in the block, he enjoys the benefit of the heat that you pay for, but don't get.

yes their should be a gas cert even for communal flats
i do them for letting agent
also if your not only one not getting heat ever it could be down to four problems
1:balacing
2:pump has gone if on a tandum system
3:boiler undersized
4:it needs flushing

There is only one alternative for your situation: electric heating. Very little difference in efficiency, they are all expensive.

With only 13'c in my flat I would stop paying rent .. the problem would then be sorted!!

Communial Heating is usually excellent things the maintenance co should be looking at;

1) Circulating pump reduced duty
2) Blocked Strainer on Heating return
3) DRV's on system incorrectly set

Hope this helps! ;)

Tell them your sick 85 year old auntie is coming to stay over winter. That might have legal redress if anything happens to her as a result of the faulty heating...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back