Power cut problem on Castle Caretech 1700

Think C was the Data common. SP was the speaker output :D

Honest, didnt look it up :D

Hmmm! Terminals 2 & 3 are Tx's, Terminal 5 is RX and Terminals 13 & 14 are Spkr. I've got the Installation Manual for the 1700 but it doesn't tell me what "SP" and "C" are.

Thanks anyway. Today is power up day on the Texecom, so it's fingers crossed! :)

Sponsored Links
Its not going to be like for like.

Seperate the loop (s). The bell and the keypad.
Then put into the corresponding terminals.
The resistors are for EOL wiring, so just put them aside and forget them.
The capasoitors are to go at junctions ( bridge across the data line) to smooth them out ( well castles were) leave out for now, see what happens.

You can either extend the ID loop and add the Panic button (HUD) or add it to the panel.

Defaults will give you basic stuff, you will still have to programe zones, part sets ect.

Hi,

Did all that, except I've left the PA out for now, and powered up this afternoon. The 24iXD is showing 2 red LED's. 1 says "fuse fail" and the other is on the right hand side with no indication AFAICT of what it is. When I go into Utils on the keypad the iXD doesn't seem to be recognised by the board. Hope it's not a faulty expander? The "Installation Manual" is a bit vague and shows diagrams of all expanders except the 24iXD. It also seems to differ on some functions. The Tx & Rx LED's seem OK with red flashing slowly and green quickly and the power lamp is steady. The KP states "System Alert!" which runs through all 8 zones showing "Alarmed" or "Tamper" but I think this is because they're on defaults Zone Type with now't connected and the iXD hasn't been recognised. Any ideas?

Well replace the blown fuse first of all. After checking all the power cables.
That might well clear down a few of the faults. Especially the id fault.
Link out the unused zones on the panel one by one. This will clear those faults.

Green flashing is a panel fault, again its in the manual.

Again please read the manual.

In each of my 3x different manual versions there is a schematic of the control panel and the four fuses are marked as to their function.

Sponsored Links
In each of my 3x different manual versions there is a schematic of the control panel and the four fuses are marked as to their function.

Thanks Europlex. Mine shows them too but they don't exist on the board which is Version 8.32. Only 1 replaceable fuse which is the incoming mains. The fuse fail is showing on the iXD PCB for which there is no detailed schematic! The manuals are the latest d/loads from Texecom but there isn't one for the 24iXD.

I'm going to try a few bits this afternoon (See my reply to "Alarm") and hope at least to get the 24iXD recognised by the panel.

Well replace the blown fuse first of all. After checking all the power cables.
That might well clear down a few of the faults. Especially the id fault.
Link out the unused zones on the panel one by one. This will clear those faults.

Green flashing is a panel fault, again its in the manual.

Again please read the manual.

Thanks for the quick response Alarm. The Premier 24 I have is version 8.32 and there are no fuses only hardwired capacitors (?) in the F2 - F5 positions. All cabling seems fine and hook-ups were very carefully done.

I've got segs on my eyes reading the manuals. Page 8 refers to the NDI's stating that Red flashes very quickly and Green flashes slowly but more quickly as devices are connected. Both T & R terminals are wired to the RKP & Page 10 states T "wire in" Red flashing =Normal, R "wire in" Green flashing = Normal. Aaaaaagghh! Am I getting lost in this alarm techo-speak somewhere? :(

Anyway, while I was checking all that I took the iXD off the Panel PCB to look behind and at the top left, where the flashing "fuse fail" led is, there was a sticky date label on the back which part covered some contacts. Correspondingly, on the Panel PCB, there are 10 protruding contacts labelled Flash Port with JP9 alongside. Could this be the cause of my woes? I've removed the label and relocated the iXD and will power up again this afternoon to see what happens. Presumably I won't need to re-load defaults or kickstart battery power; just connect up?

Hey, Rocket Science has got nothing on you guys!!! :)

Powered up again this p.m. Had to kickstart batteries but defaults were still loaded. No change in status though. IXD still shows fuse fail but it's difficult to tell which since, as they are all electronic fuses, they reset themselves presumably on power down so continuity checks with power off show OK. ID line has 2 circuits so I'm going to try taking each off to see if I can isolate a fault on there.

Electronic fuses on the panel, a 20mm on the ID24.

Wire the expander with all power off.

F3 is data protection
F4 ia Aux

How are you plugging on the iD expander?
You know it uses a molex to molex lead, not just the iD lines.

Item 4 on the iD manual to JP6 on the panel.

Electronic fuses on the panel, a 20mm on the ID24.

Wire the expander with all power off.

F3 is data protection
F4 ia Aux

How are you plugging on the iD expander?
You know it uses a molex to molex lead, not just the iD lines.

Item 4 on the iD manual to JP6 on the panel.

My 24IXD has electronic fuses at F2. Also the expander plugs straight onto the pins at JP6 on the panel & locates on lugs supplied. I connected up the 12v & ID cables for the ID line to terminals 1,3,5 & 7 (L to R) on the IXD with all power off and taking care with polarity. Presumably this is correct?

Thanks for your continuing help. What better way to spend a rainy Saturday afternoon than up & down the ladder to the loft? :(

Looks correct.

Try setting up the id without the iD line or power line connected. Lets just get it communicating first.

Sunny here, so i`ll be in the garden, but i`ll watch this and the phone will alert me.

Looks correct.

Try setting up the id without the iD line or power line connected. Lets just get it communicating first.

Sunny here, so i`ll be in the garden, but i`ll watch this and the phone will alert me.

Lucky you! :D I've had a bit of joy this afternoon in that I disconnected one section of the ID loop and the fuse fail led went out. I've also programmed zones 1 - 8 with id wiring and done walk tests and bell tests. Good news is that exit door contacts are working but sadly none of the sensors. Bell, strobe, lid tamper are also all OK as is system status.

Sun has come out here also, so it's dinner & bottle of wine on the patio!
I'll try your suggestion tomorrow & let you know. Thanks again.

Lucky? Been cutting down a "Triffid"!

I thought as much, either the polarity is wrong on one lines power. Or there is a short.
Pop open the sensors and check the colours, even better pull all out ( power cables)and check for shorts. Then reinstall. Should do the trick if cable is okay.

Lucky? Been cutting down a "Triffid"!

I thought as much, either the polarity is wrong on one lines power. Or there is a short.
Pop open the sensors and check the colours, even better pull all out ( power cables)and check for shorts. Then reinstall. Should do the trick if cable is okay.

Eureka! Eventually traced the shorted cable after removing wiring from 6 of the 8 sensors (sods law!); then traced the route and found it was on the wiring run to the door sensor.
The fault with the original panel arose on 15th December after a power cut but it looks as though that was a red herring because my carpet fitter, who finished on 14th, had, it turns out, driven a screw right through the alarm cable causing the short and presumably the spurious battery faults etc! Aaaaggghh! I now wonder if there really was a problem with the Caretech but hey I'm not about to put it back to find out! Now a bit poorer but also a bit wiser! :)
The system is up and running and functioning well, though I probably need to fine tune some of the programming from defaults. I've changed the Engineer & Master codes and set up a couple of users. I'll have to swot up on the rest but if there's anything I should definitely change, I'd be grateful for a pointer?

Thanks so much to you and others for all your help.

No worries.
Trouble is if you had of mentioned the carpet fitter in the first place we could have gone down a different route.
That is why all relevant info should be given at the start!

Nothing really spring to mind as I do not know your layout. But you can play with part set options and setting modes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back