Glow Worm Compact 100e Hot Water Sticking On!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have tried to look for this problem on the forums, but not had any luck (probably me going blind).

My Glow worm Compact 100e is playing up, and has been for weeks, but seems to be getting worse. Basically, when you turn the hot water taps on, the red LED for the hot water doesn't go off again afterwards and the burner keeps going, and the water becomes boiling hot. This leaves me with no heating. I was overcoming this problem by quickly turning on a cold tap, and this switched the red LED off, and the boiler went back to normal. Today, this didn't help and it kept locking out, so I have turned the boiler off. I left the boiler for about an hour and went back to it, to see if it had helped, but the hot water is still on constant burn up. I have checked all the taps are off and have tried turning on different cold taps to try and flip off the hot water.

Cold weather is coming back and I am keen to get it sorted cheaply.

I have only been in the house 7 years and have had a £600! (I was ripped off!) and a £200 (last year) bill for repairs and I can't afford a new boiler. I had a timer and new PCB board fitted last winter. But on the other occasions I have had water dripping out of the boiler, but this isn't happening this time.

One year I called out a plumber who had been recommended, but have lost his number, when I had the same problem that I am having now, and he just took the panel off the front of the boiler, flicked something inside (around the middle of the upper boiler) and it was sorted. Happy days, and only £20 to do it. I would like to do this myself as it involved no tools etc. I am worried about getting a big bill (after being ripped off before)for something I could do myself, safely.

My boiler pressure is 1.5 bar and I know how to increase if necessary (but not how to decrease it).

Can anyone help me out, pretty please? :D

Thank you in advance
Debbie

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if the hot water demand switch is sticking.

But like most repairs it needs inspecting by a trained eye to see whats wrong with it.

If you found someone who only charged £20 then you should have called him to service the boiler and made sure you kept his details safely.

I suppose that rather than spending about £100 on a boiler engineers repair you are spending £200-£300 on new clothes and going out partying over the holiday!

Tony

Tony

Thanks for your reply.

I had my phone stolen, hence the loss of the engineers number. :( He worked for a large company and was corgi registered, but popped in to see me inbetween jobs :)

I had the boiler serviced less than a year ago, by the engineer that fitted the PCB board and timer.

I wish I had that money to spend on partying and clothes :). My priority is always the safety of my family, but I don't mind flipping a switch if it's safe to do so. But if I definatley need to call someone out, then I have no choice. I would never attempt to try and fix someone that needs to be done by an expert.

Looks like I'm going to have to freeze until I get paid on 22nd then :)

Debbie

Something is sticking and it needs to be looked at and the cause identified.

Boiler repairs are rarely as easy as flipping a switch!

By the 22nd its unlikely you will get anyone to come except at exhorbitent rates. Far better to get someone now and borrow whatever is needed unless you are going somewhere else for the holiday.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Probably about a 60 - 70 quid job to replace the hw microswitch, diaphragm and diaphragm cover. It won't get better as water will probably be leaking directly into the microswitch.....doddle of a job though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back