New Spur Connection for Underfloor heating in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have installed a Devimat 500W UFH system in my upstairs bathroom & plan to wire it up in the form of a spur from a single power socket outside the bathroom. (This is the most easiest & convenient option as opposed to connecting directly to the CU downstairs).
I will be installing a 13A 30mA RCD FCU between the power socket & spur. The lenght of the spur is about 3-4 metres max.
This single power socket has currently two cables (2 Live & 2 Neutral) going into it and is part of the upstairs ring circuit.
There are currently no spurs coming off any of the sockets on this upstairs circuit.
This power socket is normally used for a hair drier & Iron.

Will it still be ok to spur off this particular socket as there will be circumstances when the hair drier/iron will be in use when the UFH will be on.

Any guidance appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Your underfloor heating is a relatively small load at 500W so you should have no worries on that count.

Have you notified your local authority that you are doing electrical works in a bathroom? What have you said re how you will comply with P1?

If not you must read, and act on, this: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply Taylortwocities, I'm glad to hear the connection will be fine.
Re; complaince with building regulations, I am getting my CU upgraded to RCD protection, as I understand that 30mA RCD protection is a requirement for new bathroom electrical renovations. I've notified building regulations & my Electrician will be changing the CU over & issuing a certificate. I'LL get him to check the connections re the UFH in the bathroom. Have just retiled the floor & thought I'd add UFH at the same time.
I'm quite confident in what I've done, wanted to make sure it was ok, but leaving the CU upgrade to the Electrician.
Thanks again

i hope you have enough wall mounted radiators to heat the bathroom
even leaving a 500w mat on for 24 hours a day it will not heat a bathroom except on the warmest days

Sponsored Links
ap222: that single socket might well have two cables to it, but that of itself is no indication that it's part of a ring circuit (without further testing). For example, the presence of two cables at an outlet could just as easily indicate a spur feeding another outlet.

The CU doesn't need upgrading for this specific purpose: An RCD spur could be fitted in place of that single socket.

I doubt that you've already notified this job - sorry, I just don't believe you - but on the other hand I couldn't care less about your dealings with the local BC provided that you do the job reasonably safely.

Lucia.

i hope you have enough wall mounted radiators to heat the bathroom
even leaving a 500w mat on for 24 hours a day it will not heat a bathroom except on the warmest days

Yeh bathroom has already got a decent sized towel rail radiator, so heating is no problem, the mat was just to add comfort on the chilliest of mornings ;)

PrinceofDarkness";p="1835561 said:
ap222: that single socket might well have two cables to it, but that of itself is no indication that it's part of a ring circuit (without further testing). For example, the presence of two cables at an outlet could just as easily indicate a spur feeding another outlet.

The CU doesn't need upgrading for this specific purpose: An RCD spur could be fitted in place of that single socket.

I doubt that you've already notified this job - sorry, I just don't believe you - but on the other hand I couldn't care less about your dealings with the local BC provided that you do the job reasonably safely.

Hi Lucia, I've checked all sockets on the upstairs circuit & all have 2 cables. I will be installing a RCD FCU at that spur for added protection, I've not informed BC regading the UFH but I have notified regarding the consumer Unit as its classified as major works.
Surely, Installing RCD protection can only be safer for me & my family & my ufh will also comply with the regulation.

. I've notified building regulations & my Electrician will be changing the CU over & issuing a certificate.

If you are using an electrician who is registered then you do not need to pay a fee to the local authority or notify them, yourself. That is all done by the REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN. He will do the work, certify and notify the local authority. That's assuming he is a member of one of the self cert schemes.

ALso re

.I will be installing a RCD FCU at that spur for added protection

That's pointless if your consmer unit has 30mA RCD protection. It will not give you any more protection.

. I've notified building regulations & my Electrician will be changing the CU over & issuing a certificate.

If you are using an electrician who is registered then you do not need to pay a fee to the local authority or notify them, yourself. That is all done by the REGISTERED ELECTRICIAN. He will do the work, certify and notify the local authority. That's assuming he is a member of one of the self cert schemes.

ALso re

.I will be installing a RCD FCU at that spur for added protection

That's pointless if your consmer unit has 30mA RCD protection. It will not give you any more protection.

Thanks, I will check with my electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back