fixing my bath in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I need a solid fail safe suggestion, if such a thing exists.......

I'm about to fit a new steel bath tub it has been suplied without fixing bracketsand there are no holes in the feet, which are small with little room for drilling and thick metal so difficult to drill anyhow.
It will be fixed to a tiled wall on two sides, the tap holes are in the middleand I intend to bulid a batton frame to fix the panels too.
can i juct use a fixative for the edge of the bath and perhaps the feet. I've heard i can wedge it with diagonal prop battons, but when i've seen this it not looked that secure.
Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

This is a great forum.

Sponsored Links
IMO it's best to fix the tub before tiling the wall.... but needs must.

Securely fix battens to the walls for the edges of the tub to sit on. Prepare some cleats to fit to the battens once the tub is in place

If the feet are standing on a wooden floor, fix some bearers under them to spread the load over as many joists as possible. A couple of 4 X 2s, say, laid flat. You could drill 1/2" deep pockets in them to accept the feet.

Fix the brassware before fitting the tub. Attach pipe tails running to somewhere that will be accessible after installing the tub to the taps and waste.

Stand tub in position, connect the tails to the fixed plumbing with isolating valves, and check for leaks. If you are unlucky, pulling the whole tub back out to tend to any leaks is still straightforward.

If all is well, level up the tub, making sure it sits evenly on the battens, and each foot is taking it's share of the weight. Fit the cleats to clamp the tub to the wall, and start building your framing for the panels.

Hi there
Thanks for your response.
um, cleats? what are these?something to hold the edge of the tub on to the wall baton?
I have tilled my floor underneath the bath, can i still use 4x2 wood to spread the wieght and put 1/2 inch holes in them to sit the bath in?

many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back