My cheap 720p CCTV solution..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just thought I would share with you my home surveillance solution. Granted this is very much tailored to my needs but it might make some of you think slightly differently from a complete off the shelf CCTV solution.

I was the subject of an attempted break in recently which made me look into how I could secure my home. I looked at loads of different surveillance systems and couldn't decide what to do, mainly because I wanted a system which would produce high quality images and video of anyone trying to break into my property but I did not want to spend thousands of pounds.

I am quite tech savvy and have a windows home server in my home which is the central point of my home entertainment setup, mainly supplying video and music to all parts of my home.

So, in short I decided to use my home server as brain of my surveillance system. For reference its spec is an intel e2200, 2GB RAM, 4TB HDD (with room for expansion). I coupled this with Microsoft Lifecam HD web cameras which are currently available for around £35 each (these are capable of 720p at 30fps). The main room I was concerned with happens to be the same room that my server sits in so having USB cables back to the server isn't a problem. For other rooms I will have to use IP based webcams or use usb over ethernet converters. The cameras are small and are mounted in the inside of my windows to look outside. I am using a great bit of software called Blue Iris (costs about £35) running on my server which is setup to start recording once it detects motion, it will also email me a screen shot of any motion captured so that I can see whats happening all the time and also allow me to view all my cameras live stream through the internet on a pc or on my phone. I am really happy with the image and video quality achieved and the effectiveness of the system. So far I have captured a couple of dog walkers and even a fireman as well as numerous disturbances from my cats :)

There are a couple of short falls of the system, namely I can't at the moment capture anything in the dark. I am hoping to rectify this with the use of outdoor security lights and maybe modifying the webcams to work in the dark but at the moment my main concern was a system that would be able to capture any movement during the day while I was at work.

All in all, because I already had my home server (which cost around £250) my surveillance system has only cost me around £100 at the moment with plenty of scope for adding more cameras as I see necessary.

Hopefully some of you will find this useful! Happy to hear comments both good and bad :)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have not had any trouble with condensation in the year that I have lived at my property so luckily this isn't an issue for me.

I would say the system has been really effective so far. I spent some time configuring the software and testing to ensure that the motion would trigger correctly. It has correctly recorded all events that I have witnessed with my own eyes and has so far had 100% uptime. The fact that I can view the cameras when I am away from home and be notified of any movement straight away, while its happening, and even view the video clips of what caused the motion is the real benefit to me.

Sponsored Links
Sounds good, I would like to do something similar from as much an enthusiast pov as security. Outside might be good as well

What do you use this for?? crime prevention??.

What about time & date stamp??

watermarking/validating images??

Hi there,

This is very interesting, sounds simple to setup and to be honest sounds as good as any CCTV kit.

The external light problem would be my concern, also how secure is the room where the server is based. this would be the first thing anyone would steal.

I brush my kitchen floor with a broom.

Another sweeping statement :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back