combi boiler not providing hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a freezing night i cannot get any water from the hot taps in the house. Cold watet is ok except in the boiler room itself. I have tryed turning the tap which fills the boiler but no sound of water. The boiler fires up ok. Is it ok to leave the boiler on providing the pressure is ok?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pipework to the boiler has frozen up for your hot/cold, if the boiler is OK for heating it may thaw out the pipes although by the sound of it you have extensive freezing in the (presumably unheated??) room where the boiler is. Put an electric heater in there if you have one, I would suggest turning the boiler's thermostat down very low and running it like that for a while to ensure it defrosts gradually provided you're sure there is circulation through the boiler on the heating side, once you're happy that it's working as it should put the stat back to where it was.

You'd do well to get the pipework better insulated to prevent a re-occurrence of this

Thankyou muggles for your exellent advice. Everything is now working well. I have been endeavouring to lag the pipes but those between the boiler and the outside wall are difficult to get to as only 2.5" space. I have managed to get some thin bubblewrap between the wall and pipe. Whilst doing this i noticed a draught and found that it was coming from a vent at low level in the wall towards the rear of the boiler. I am sure that the freezing air was coming into the room from this vent. I am assuming that this vent is is allow proper air circulation to the boiler. Do i really need this vent as the Boiler(Worcester20/25 oil has a balance flue system? The room measures 6'x6'.

Sponsored Links
You may well be correct about the vent, if the boiler is a balanced flue type then it won't be needed for combustion purposes.. Are there any gas appliances in the room, or in adjoining rooms, that may need an air supply? Check the manufacturers' instructions if you have them, the air vent may be required for cooling during the Summer, so if you do block it up remember to unblock it when the Winter finally leaves us

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back